sea ray boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by shane blower, Apr 12, 2008.

1. shane blower

shane blower Junior Member

im looking to buy a 26-28ft boat but, have to buy used. did see ray make a good hull from 1987-1991 i been told the 80s boat hulls were junk , if some are &some arent ,what is the best boat for my money these yrs?i have a 88 glasstron that dont have weep holes and im starting to get stringer rot. its a nice boat , but for someone who cant fix it its junk. low hrs & junk!

2. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

A painted cardboard box would be about the same quality in my humble opinion. Just buy something with no coring in the hull so you don't have to worry about it. But I've never seen a SeaRay I was impressed with in quality, design, materials...etc. Save a few more bucks and buy a keeper.

Tony in Sw FL

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

for the same money ,,you can get a really cool barral back chrisecraft,,made of wood ,longliner

4. shane blower

the reason i say searay is, because there everywhere.i would really like a formula or chriscraft , but not wood.my buddy lives in ft. myers beach and i go there alot should i buy a boat that has a closed cooling system so i won' t have problems with salt water. and will that help keep good running temp. in the cold great lakes?

5. shane blower

What do you guys think of larson boats 1991 good or bad report?

6. yipster

yipster designer

text from first hit on google searching: sea ray + quality

7. shane blower

thanks alot i didn't like to think they weren't a top of the line boat.To buy a uesd boat i think ill get the most out of my money from searay im looking @ 26-29ft. boats 1988-1993 for my price range what do you think of these yrs.?

8. yipster

yipster designer

off course its a type of boat, others may prefer another type of boat
    rotten stringers, burned out engines and more you'll have to survey
    for 15 years we have a 88 sundancer and i know its a quality boat

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

sounds like searay is trying to "distance" themselves from bayliner,,hehe,, wonder why hehe ;)

10. shane blower

im with ya people love to play on boats but most dont like to take care of them. what i worry about is the unseen damage.i got glasstron cuddy 21ft. off a guy and you can tell he took care of this boat,but glasstron didn't put weep holes ,so any water that got in the boat stayed in the boat ,and now i have rot starting. 1988 nice boat with low hrs with stringer rot thats a shame. If someone didnt know what they were looking for they could easly over look the problem and buy this boat. thats what i dont want to do. what if the problem is under the floor and you cant see it.or is that just a chance you take when you buy used?

11. shane blower

i would never buy a bayliner,but people say they are tring to turn it around.at least they are useing mercs. now just need to keep the hull together

12. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

It seems people like to bash on Sea Ray a bit since they are so "common." I've seen good ones and bad ones - depends on who's caring for it, or not. Up this way, If someone does basic maintenance, their gel coats seem to stay shiny, I haven't heard of any with hull blisters, and overall, they age very well. I don't own one, but I've been on several mid to late 80's Sea Rays and have yet to see any major flaws - solid boats. For the size boat you're talking, they didn't core the hulls, and you could probably just look at the stringers to tell their condition.

13. shane blower

thanks good info

14. shane blower

whats that mean "core the hull" im good with motors & drives but never worked on hulls

15. shane blower

what your take on a 1985 cruisers 266 fiest vee for $9,000. i have seen them around but dont know their rep. ANYONE?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.