Screws though Hull

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tcsigler, Dec 6, 2004.

1. tcsigler

tcsigler New Member

Hey, we just got a new-to-us boat. It is a 15 ft tri-hull. After we brought it home, we noticed that it has screws sticking out of the bottom of the hull. Should we cut them off and cover them with some type of marine sealer??

Thanks.....

2. glassman

glassman Junior Member

yes i say so ,but find the cause remove and grind back and glass in,cutting them is not the best thing to do.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sounds like you have just acquired someone else's pain. There should never be a need for the business end of a screw to puncture the outer skin of the boat. This is a place where she's leaking.

Find out what's being screwed to the bottom of the boat and remove it from the inside (back out the screws) A marine sealant or adhesive could provide a temporary fix, but the hole(s) should be 'glassed in properly.

I've seen 3M 5200 fix a world of hurts, but I'll bet you have other issues with this boat, seeing that the bone head that owned her before saw fit to drive screws that way, she'll surly have more bone headed stuff to deal with.

Good Luck,

4. Redbullet

Redbullet New Member

Screws

Use Devcon plastic weld to fill the holes. It's the same thing we mount transducers to the hull with. Buy it at Wal-Mart.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.