Rotten stringer under motor mount

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Thundercraft, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Bob

1984 Thundercraft Citation
    17.5' Open-bow Runbout
    4-Cyl. Mercruiser 140
    Mercruiser 1 sterndrive (not Mach 1)

This boat has done a lot of sitting on a trailer (less than 200 hours on the engine), and I am trying to get it into shape for much use. While inspecting the engine compartment, I noticed a crack about 1 to 1.5 inches long beginning directly underneath the right side of the front motor mount. Also, the right side of the motor mount was sunk into the floor about 1/4 inch. The bolt going through the motor mount into the floor was up off the mount about the same (1/4 inch). Aware of the likely result, I tried to tighten the bolt. As expected, I could hear the stringer below crunch as the wood crumbled. I had the boat out on two occasions for engine tuning and adjustments. On the second outing, I was unable to avoid some pounding waves. The crack has now lengthened to about 5 or 6 inches. So here are my questions:

-Can I replace just this section of floor and the rotten stringer(s), or will I have to replace the entire floor?

-Will the engine need to come out to do this, and if so, how do I readjust the engine to the proper height/angle?

-I have strong mechanical aptitude, but no experience with glass or epoxy. Is this a job a beginner/novice can do?

Will post pictures soon.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

just search for stringer replacements on this site, there is plenty of info on how to go about it, its one of the most common questions asked, its not that difficult to do just real messey with the grinding dust and a lot of elbow greese

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Bob,

Yes, there were several excellent thread discussions of stringer replacements just in the past few months, including some very clear photos of steps along the way. Challenging but doable even for a beginner.

Good luck!

4. boatguy64

boatguy64 Junior Member

If you are looking for someone to do it for you, or a little advice, call me at 772-595-1818, A Quality Fiberglass. Robert or Lloyd. This is a type repair we do on a regular basis. As was stated, it is do able as a DIY project, however it is a challange. Plus there is a bit of equipment and tools needed.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're in central Florida, I can provide a price for you as well. Drop me an email (click on me name).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.