Reccomended Production Boats 14'-18' LOA

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mackid068, Jun 18, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

What do you reccomend for saltwater "cruising" in an open center console or runabout/bowrider 18' LOA or less. Cost ought be under $30,000. Any suggestions? Post 'em here

2. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

ALUMINUM!!! LOL Biased opinion :) Low maintenance and durability of aluminum hulls in saltwater is well proven. Cant see any downsides there. Price?? You could easily get into a new 18' Open model w/ center console for well under 30,000 prolly a bow rider would come in under that too. I know that I could build one for you for less than that. (tho CT is a long haul from OR :)
    Peace Joey

3. mackid068

True, true. I just am a fan of fiberglass in the sense that it's really inexpensive.

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Mack. You REALLY need to spend some money and go to BIG indoor boat shows. Best money you will ever spend and enjoy doing it. Life is wonderfull at one of them. Wife picked colors and capitains chairs. I did the rest. We both love the the boat as a result of our choices. If it does not look like the best boat you have ever seen in your life, don't buy it. There is a boat out there that you must have. Go to a lot of boat shows, ONLY the biggest will do to see all the models and color and interior layouts. We got grins at seeing 1 Chapp at a show . Tested it and bought the boat. You should find yourself looking at the brochure all the time. Go for it.--------------------------------------------- ALL boats today are equally safe, thanks to govt. and NMMA? standards. Don't let someone tell you otherwise and talk you out of the boat you really want.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  5. mackid068

We're looking at the Boston Whalers. They seem nice and ought to hold their value.

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Fantastic boats in very rough and dangerous water conditions that you never planned getting into.

7. mackid068

So I've heard. I actually got into some pretty rough stuff on a friend's Glacier Bay 22'. Thunderstorm, fog, visibility 500 yds. at most, torrential rain, winds up to 30 kts, small craft advisory. Fun as heck.

8. mackid068

Anyone else have any suggestions?

9. mackid068

Nothing else? Bowriders, anyone?

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I found a web site while surfing. It had every mfg. of every type of boat. Did not save it. Do you want the site? No problem.

11. mackid068

I'll take it if you have it. What about "Sea Hunt Boats"?

12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Sea Hunt is a decent mid-range boat, price and quality wise. There are several Dual Console saltwater boats similar to the Sea Hunt. Even more I/O pleasure bowriders to choose from. For discussions on the DC types try www.TheHullTruth.com For the I/O bowriders try www.BoatingABC.com and www.TrailerBoats.com

Kelly Cook

13. mackid068

Right then. I looked at the Sea Ray 180 Sport today. It seemed nice and was relatively cheap: just under $18,000 before tax.

14. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Bayliner 185 should be even cheaper. But none of these small I/O bowriders are suited for open saltwater use. Which is where DC models like the Sea Hunt come in.

Kelly

15. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You don't take a little bowrider into the open ocean. For offshore it's closed bow only. Except for Boston Whalers, Hurricanes and the like, which are self-bailing and can run when swamped.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.