Re-powering

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by yokebutt, May 30, 2005.

1. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Situation is as follows, we have a russian hydrofoil, 28 feet long and about 1800kg (around 4000lbs) all up weight. Current engine is a six cylinder sidevalve rated about 70hp. With the original set-up, top speed is about 38 knots, so we'd like to bump up the power a little bit. My preference would be an efficient diesel around 120-150hp or so.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on what to use? We do have an old chevy 327 kicking around the shop, and although it would be the cheapest way to re-power, I don't think it would be the most economical in the long run. For no other reason than bone-*** simplicity, I've even considered a volvo B-20 with a weber 36/36 and a suitable cam, but I would really prefer something less agricultural. (the connection between engine and V-drive is an automotive-style drive shaft, so anything goes)

All ideas(well thought out or not) are invited.

Yokebutt.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I doubt the number of hours of use would warrent the diesel.

I'd go to the junkyard and find a 500ci caddy , weighs no more than most autoblocks and very good at 200 hp "forever". and not as bad on fuel as you might think.

And really CHEAP!!!

FAST FRED

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

I do have a couple of reasons for wanting a diesel, but I'm not dogmatic about it.

First of all, the original side-valver runs at relatively low rpm, and I'd like use an engine that works in the same range, so we don't have to mess around with a different prop or change the V-drive.

Secondly, this type of boat is not well suited to going really fast, but they cruise quite efficiently at moderate speeds, keep in mind that the original engine is only 70hp, and it's sufficient to achieve 38 knots, although we'd like to increase the power a little bit, this is America after all. So I'd like suggestions on a small diesel that could push it along without using gobs of fuel, maybe around 2 liters displacement or so? Either a marine engine, or something automotive that could be pressed into service. (turbo-diesel perhaps?)

4. yipster

yipster designer

turbo-diesel sound like a good idea. some 15 years back a similar? russian hydrofoil was repowerd here with a volvo 200? turbodiesel and the guy's really liked it. the boats name was something like "drunken sailor" or so couse it zigzagged at lower speeds but with the upgrade and turbo kicking in it was flying.

5. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Zig-zaging is a dead giveaway that the CG and the CB of the boat was destroyed by the engine increase.

6. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

How about the Mitsubishi 2.5 liter turbo-diesel engine? Is it any good? Does anyone have strong feelings for or against it? Has anyone ever marinated one?

Yoke.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.