Power cat disaster in Hout Bay, South Africa

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by taniwha, Oct 15, 2012.

1. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Manie we need more people like you.
    Gordon, the report was written by the same people who "omitted" to ask for reviewed stability calculations and were not "informed" of the huge downflooding openings which eventually where the main cause of the flooding. So it is no surprise that the press release concentrate on the fact that the skipper had a skippers ticket instead of a commercial skippers ticket and that the bilge pump alarm was not working.

2. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

we don't know the maritime authorities "forgot" to ask for it :rolleyes:

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Was on the telly news and today's papers where SAMSA gave provisional reasons/blame for the tragedy.
    Apparently the skipper was not licensed to operate the boat in question and secondly the bilge pumps were inoperative...

For those not who do not understand the lingo, here is the gist of it although Afrikaans is a very expressive language and Manie put it straight and true.

"SAMSA, get your ars*es in gear, stop behaving like dumb ostriches with the sh*tty attitude of heads in the sand shying away. Jou are sh*t stupid and f**king dumb. Get people with the ability to think and please, you are not welcome to come to BBQ and booze coming February at the Vaal Dam. Get people with experience and brains otherwise the tourist trade will disappears."

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Ok so here is today's news story

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Samsa-Hout-Bay-boat-accident-avoidable-20121025

SAMSA it clearly shows you are a bunch of cowards and incompetent and let me tell you why:

When I board an aeroplane I take it for granted that the pilot is qualified.
    But the pilot is only as good as his ground crew, the pilot only flies the plane, he does not fix it.
    I rely on the fact that the Aero Authrorities do their work and regularly inspect the Company - the workshops and procedures - and obviously the staff at all levels. Companies and their owners will seek profits and possibly cut corners but if they are regularly inspected this should not happen.

SAMSA you clearly state:
    "At the time of the incident, the vessel was certificated by SAMSA to operate as a small passenger vessel out of Hout Bay not more than 5 miles from shore nor more than 15 miles from port carrying a maximum of 42 passengers plus 3 crew."

I take it for granted that you have inspected this boat annually and passed it.
    Our boats must have a new COF license every year, my COF clearly states "This certificate will be valid for 12 months after the survey date"

SAMSA you clearly state:
    "In June 2010 owners requested approval from SAMSA to change their propulsion from inboard to outboard engines for which SAMSA approval was granted in principle provided that applicable legislation and identified ISO standards were complied with as well as the revision of stability information.
    Statutory surveys were subsequently conducted with safety certification issued on 12 August 2010."

I repeat:
    "Statutory surveys were subsequently conducted with safety certification issued on 12 August 2010"

So SAMSA you are responsible for the deaths of two people.
    Dont pass the buck all the way down the line to the poor sod at the bottom of the ladder, TOP MANAGEMENT must stand up and be counted. The downfall of every society is the "pass the buck" syndrome.

SAMSA I say it again - you are incompetent - your staff is uneducated and of frightening poor quality - and to crown it all your management is a bunch of cowards that will hide behind so called legislation. The best thing that the families can do now is to start cases against SAMSA and take SAMSA to court, it wont bring the deceased back but it could prevent further loss of life.

SAMSA you have now named and shamed the skipper and the owner - how about that you publish the names of the "inspectors" and their seniors that passed the boat - how about we name and shame the inspectors from SAMSA - how about we name and shame the incompetent fools that employed these inspectors.

And SAMSA watch this space because I will personally post pics of your people being stupid at the around the island race at the Vaaldam in February.

SAMSA you killed two people

SAMSA ons is moeg en keelvol vir julle agterbakse kak houding, skrik wakker, julle gaan meer mense vermoor.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I think the first part about racing cats being easy to roll is somewhat accurate, especially if they are lightweight. But the bit about rescue cats going over at rest or at crawl speed, is not. These boats have not come to dominate the marine rescue scene by being easy to roll. But, a racing cat in steeply rising beam seas is relatively dynamically unstable, especially at the sort of speeds they get pushed to. This South African boat, or any similar size boat, was always going to be in trouble if it took tonnes of seawater on the deck, which seems to have been the case. The ability to stop it coming on board seems to have been limited.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The defects on the boat were there since before the license was even issued.
    So SAMSA has no case.

What I would love to know

What was the date of the last inspection

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Does this mean that the last inspection should have been in August ???

in other words every August or so ??

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I got this one, Wynand. :cool:
    "SAMSA Our stomach and throat is full from your backstabbing poop posture, unless you wake up, you're going to kill more people."

Close?

9. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

About the bilge pumps: to be found in every bilge pump manual:

A.3.2 Warning
    The combined capacity of the system is not intended to drain the craft in the case of damage.

10. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

The scope of the standard used for initial stability calculations:
    1.3. International Code of Safety for High-Speed
    Craft (HSC Code) 1994
    The 1994 HSC Code was adopted by IMO’s Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) on 20 May 1994 by resolution MSC.36(63), recognizing the continual development of novel types and sizes of HSC which were not necessarily dynamically supported, including cargo craft and passenger craft carrying larger number of passengers or operating at greater
    distances from places of refuge than permitted by the DSC Code.

The scope of South African National Standard SANS 12217-1 adopted in 2008 that was NOT used: 1 Scope
    This part of ISO/SANS 12217 specifies methods for evaluating the stability and buoyancy of intact (i.e. undamaged)boats. The flotation characteristics of boats vulnerable to swamping are also encompassed.
    The evaluation of stability and buoyancy properties using this part of ISO/SANS 12217 will enable the boat to be assignedto a design category (A, B, C or D) appropriate to its design and maximum total load.
    This part of ISO/SANS 12217 is principally applicable to boats propelled by human or mechanical power of 6 m up to and including 24 m hull length.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Just another South Afrikaan accident --there will be more.

12. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

You are learning fast Hoyt and very close.:) For your interest here is the correct translation.

"SAMSA we are tired and fed-up of your sh*tty backstabbing attitude (ways), unless you wake up, you're going to kill more people."

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

show me another country besides OZ that uses cats for rescue boats
    they are great for going fast in rough water
    more stable in at rest in waves up to a point where they then become dangerous and a mono is still safe
    just compare GZ curves

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Does you still have that maritime boss down there that sacked all the pilots once they learnt all ships have autopilots
    ( we might laugh but it is Africa)

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Did any one tell them cats are load sensative.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.