Pocket cruisers

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guillermo, May 13, 2006.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Too much beam, to my taste. Have you figured out already accelerations?

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Leo -
    Yep - thie biggest one. Boat trailers are continually subjected to a a regular dumping into the water - often salt water. This occures, more often that not, at the worst possible time - when brakes and wheel bearings are still hot. There are now excellent systems designed to keep lubricant in and water out, but this will always be the weak point of the boat trailer.

Tom - I too have looked into incorporating the catamaran hullform generally known as a displaning hull, into a slightly beamier monohull. I think I may have posted some images somewhere about the place too. Definitely worthy of further exploration. I'll dig up mu images and open another thread on the subject....

Guillermo - I too have had a bit of a look for info about offset shaft angles. Turned up zip. I'll have a bit more of a look, but still suspect the idea was given up as a failure....

3. You have to consider the purpose of the project, a Floating sala for cairibean and asian tropical sea, no beam=no space, no space=no fun for the customer. I will consider for the cabin version, our own proposal project with no customer requirements, a smaller beam.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Will, A very descriptivename even if it doesn't sound too great.

Guillermo, I handled a 36' sailboat with the prop angled to starboard. No issues going ahead although we hit a deadhead in the Champlain Canal and had to get the exposed shaft replaced and the prop repaired. Most difficult boat to back into a slip I've ever encountered. Go figure.

5. to understand better our catamaran purpose..
    and after the cabin version we intend to propose.

Attached Files:

6. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

They are not too pocket, but they are on the ligth side:
    http://www.tennantdesign.co.nz/boats.php?boat=39
    http://www.stanyonmarine.com.au/pdfs/10M DART BROCHURE.pdf

Both are powered by "small" outboards.

One thing bother me. They are not trailerable due to their beam. And trucking would be very expensive. (too wide).

I have seen tri with folding outriggers for trailering, but do "half able" catamarans exist ?

Because "half" of above catamarans would be easily trailerable, beam and weigth. Even containerable if you remove roof top :p .

7. Guillermo

There are several trailerable sailing catamarans (or, at least, advertised as such). Just google for 'tarilerable catamaran'.
    The 'Motorcat 30' is also advertised as trailerable, although beam is 2,89 m :confused:
    http://motorcat.com/index_mc30.html
    Some interesting thoughts about power cats consumption:
    http://www.pedigreecats.com/faq.htm#consumpt

From "Sail" magazine:
    "Cats on trailers
    Most cruising cats must be kept on a mooring or in a wide slip and require a boatyard to haul and store. There are exceptions in a new breed of trailerable cats. Unlike most cruising cats with rigid bridgedecks, these high-performance cats in the 30-foot range have limited cruising amenities in the hulls, trampolines in place of rigid bridgedecks, and removable support beams. Once the beams are removed, the hulls, beams, and rig can be placed on a road-legal trailer and hauled by an average-size SUV. These cats won't rig and unrig as quickly as folding tris, but they do provide trailerability--albeit requiring some effort and planning--that was once considered impossible. B.S."

Anybady has more info?

8. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

9. Willallison

Hmm - agree with you about the looks Vega.....
    But this boat fails my pre-requisite eat & sleep test.
    It's simple. Boat sleeps 4 - should be able to seat 4 around the dinette.

This boat sleeps 4, yest only seats 2.
    What do you do - eat in shifts?

10. yacht371

yacht371 Yacht Designer

The Motorcat 29 (see www.aviadesign.com) is legally trailerable at an 8'-6" beam, and weighing under 2 tons. The first one has just been shipped (to Vancouver BC arriving July 20). It offers cruising speeds up to 20 knots with outstanding fuel economy, power can be twin outboards or single diesel. Two tiny 15 HP outboards are enough for 10 knot cruising. Maximum speed with 160 HP diesel is 24 knots, and to be honest, she feels like that is pushing the envelope. It seems like 100 to 130 HP is plenty.

11. Guillermo

Grahame,
    I would like to see more photos of the Motorcat 29 under way from several angles and sppeeds to better realize how she motors, as at your pages there are only a couple of them. Is that possible?
    Also: I find impractical the rounded roof around the companionway as it doesn't allow to use that space in the bridge for purposes such as keeping paper charts when navigating, etc., or other items.

Paulo,
    I don't like the styling of the Barros design, either. Neither the design itself. She seems to be a quite beamy displacement boat, so not motor efficient and probably quite uncomfortable when on a seaway.

12. Willallison

Re motorcat 29....
    Always difficult to tell from pics, but I'd be more concerned about blind spots created by what appear to be very thick A & B pillars

13. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Here is a clone in kit / homebuilding :
    But a 28 ft displacement only should be in the 6 - 7 kts range. Not that much.
    But it is on the cheap side to build (40-50 k€) and to operate. (small engine). Should be less than 1 gal /h.

Attached Files:

14. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Attached Files:

15. yacht371

yacht371 Yacht Designer

MC 29 tests and photos.

Unfortunately I don't have more photos of the MC29 underway, we only had a brief test in the Oder river in March before the Wroclaw Police shut us down for breaking the speed limit (not posted). When the boat gets to Vancouver we will test it thoroughly and get better photos and videos. It felt very smooth riding and stable, but we didn't have any serious waves.

The rounded dash is not intended as an area to be used for charts etc. We will install a large Chartplotter directly in front of the helm. We do carry paper charts, and will use them for backup and planning. The dinette table is large and makes a good chart table. This boat sleeps 4 max, and the dinette seats 4 in comfort.

A Force 10 propane stove with grill will be installed in the galley.

Visibility:
    The B Pillars are thick (they hold up the roof) but no more so than in other small trawlers, see photos of the Ranger 25 and Gen-L boats. What they don't show you is a photo looking out. In practice, when driving the boat I never felt there was a problem with visibility. We do think we can make the windshield a little wider on future boats.

I have experience with boats that use only thin aluminum frames on the windows, which are also expected to hold up the roof. They always leak sooner or later, and have been known to collapse entirely.

Visibility in a relatively slow boat is not the same as for instance in a car where speeds are much higher and you have traffic and pedestrians to contend with. That said, in this boat you can see out behind you, and I plan to install a rear view mirror. Many boats with an enclosed pilothouse lack any rearward visibility.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.