Pirate Mercs

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apex1

apex1 Guest

In the Malakka straits the traffic is relatively slow anyway, there they have no problem.

Come on guys,

look at the Burmester patrol boat, look at the freeboard and everything is said! And never she does more than 20kn wot!
    Forget it.
    The Norwegian are stable boats at sea and withstand far more than the coastal patrol boat. But of course they do´nt have the endurance at cruising speed you would need.
    More than 24 kn is too much to afford btw.! But one should be comfortable with 24 due to the fact that that is the speed of fast commercial craft (container and general cargo).
    That is in the 5000 to 10000 hp ballpark for a vessel with some substantial tankage and accommodation. Meaning several tonnes of fuel per day!
    Calculate 200g kw / hr and 75% of the horses working at cruising speed. (much less and your engines are sour in no time, much more and your range is down to harbour cruises)
    Say 5000 kw x 200g is 1 ton per hr = 1200 liter
    that would propel a 35 meter boat through seastate 4 at about 24kn cont.

I doubt that it is just coincidence that the Navies involved around the Horn of Africa use Fregates and Destroyers for their task forces.

A bit less might work, but something really substantial it has to be, no doubt.

Marco:
    that is a toy! Imagine 8hrs at 24 kn in seastate 4 and your crew is gone! (seastate 4 is brilliant, calm weater for the entire commercial fleet btw.!)

Regards
    Richard

2. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Yes, I realise that is a new one, I was interested in the fact that it is purpose built for your particular application. There is a table there for fuel consumption according to speed you may find interesting. Thy have two MTU2000 hp engines the same as the one in the older german boat.
    As for affordability, it does not hurt to ask. I noticed they have 70% finance availalbe. I suppose they want to know how much money you could make. They can also build in different ports.

I am afraid that a 100' plus ship that can do 30knots max 25 knots cruise and 200 miles range will have to be something of a more modern design than 1950 or 1960. That is why I thought a compromise in size may give you what you need. Keep on searching and ask lots of questions. Did you check other forums, shipyards, ship builders? Just go there and pretend to be able to buy tomorrow. You will collect that way a lot of first hand information.
    Being an army man you should ask navy people. They would have a lot of experience and point you in the right direction.

3. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Sorry Richard, I missed your post. Yes, I realise small is bumpy and all that. Jee call it a toy, I want to play with one!!!!!

If they change the 12V for two 16V MTU 2000hp would that increase the speed of the old one or not?

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sure it would,
    and decrease the insufficient range further...............

6. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Junior Member

Frosty, the heat issue has accured to me also. Most of the guys who are interested in this have at least a year and a half in Iraq and some have 4.5 years. If we could get some shade on the deck and some air conditioning in the cabins it will make thinge easier. Keep in mind that in iraq they are usealy waring 35 pounds of body armor in addition to water, weapons, gear and ammo. Also they are physicly active all day. Sunburn can be prevented with long sleaves and a hat. Sunstroke is a little more serious.

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

If I may, back to the ones I liked so much;
    MTB_06_127226a.jpg
    The specs show 20,000 liters fuel. Need to come up with room for another 20,000, I 'spose. Richard said that the water is nice there (when it's nice) so you should be able to make one of these work. Don't worry about the cost of fuel - it is the cost of doing this and it will be recovered. I also wouldn't worry too much about small arms fire on the hull - You could swat 7.62 x .39 (AK47) out of the air with a rolled up Huriyah Magazine (or whatever you have laying around) from 400 meters. I feel that your engines and yourselves are the only things critical (patch a stray hole with a stick if you ever got one).

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Those who would sleep at night could sleep on deck ,--very pleasant ,--no mosquito's.

Day time below ,--not pleasant although the temp at sea is much cooler than land.

Sea sickness however is terrible. Tough guys can get sea sickness.

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Dang, I can't stop looking at those boats (or laughing at my own jokes!)...

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

Tough guys are THE biggest crybabies when retching!

11. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This are 120 feet long. Should be ok for bad weather.

12. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Bad weather?
    PS
    Sent an email to the Norwegian Ministry of Defence. Lets see what he has to say.
    This boats are sold de-militarised...whatever that means...Torpeto tubes can be used to store fishing rods, yet will be a very nice deterrant

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

I like the look.
    126530_12.jpg 727171650_59RqP-X2.jpg
    I know Hunt's deal is deep-V and these aren't but not having a half mil for this Goetz-built hunt Hull and preferring the speed afforded by this Norwegian design, I'd love to find a way to make one work!

14. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Junior Member

Ok, I am going to see how much these sexy babys are going for. I will let you know when I get an answer.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This is difficult because the boats you are looking at will be reasonable stable at 18KTS but roll like a pig when waiting for your customer which could be hours.

In what direction are the winds in the area you are patrolling, beam on I would imagine?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.