Over weight boat?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Bruce Hess, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Bruce Hess

Bruce Hess Junior Member

Yea it's old, it has 3880 hours on it. I'd plan to get a thorough check out before pulling the trigger. The hull is actually a 88 also. The original owner took 6 years to finish it out.

2. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Me personally, I would not touch it. The boat was designed at a specific weight range, the over build changes so many things from performance through stability calculations that you can't possibly know where you are until it has been reaccessed by a qualified professional. Once a boat is strong enough weight tends to be the enemy, I have seen many good cruising designs (talking yachts here) ruined by "double layups" that the owners where often proud of. In reality the extra layup did little more than calm their paranoia and produce bad performance and handling outcomes, often these things where dangerous.

2c
    Mbz

3. hemidodge

hemidodge Junior Member

Actually... these boats were designed to carry weight. Weight has no effect on there sea worthyness and a loaded boat may help them . The only loss is speed. Which is what the tread has been about. How to gain some speed out of this boat.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

weight has an effect on EVERY boat,, no matter what it was designed for.
    and the thread is about asking for advice,,and if the extra weight could have already done damage.,,, and if a new engine would be better for it.

EDIT: ,,,P.S. welcome to the forum ;)

5. Bruce Hess

Bruce Hess Junior Member

How much is to much

Hemidodge,

I agree to a point but since I've looked at this boat there is another BHM 31 that recently came on the market in California. It weighs 12,000 pounds. The boat in Santa Barbara with fuel and water weighs 22,000. That's a 5 ton difference. Whether they're designed to carry a lot of weight or not this boat, I my opinion, has considerable consequences because of its weight. I don't think it would ever be able to get much past 13 knots and with fuel prices the way they are it will always cost much more than her contemporaries to operate. It's to bad because it's a beautiful boat. Even if it weighed 16,000 I'd already own her.

6. hemidodge

hemidodge Junior Member

well congrats on the purchase. I got a touch confused .... which one did you buy? The original boat of topic or another one weighing 12.000 lbs?

7. hemidodge

hemidodge Junior Member

the1much "weight has an effect on EVERY boat,, " yea it makes them slower and cost more to push. BHM 31 can handle the weight reguardless ,where alot of boats can't. The boat I'm getting is supposed to handle weight well also. I'll find out cause I think I have a little less power than they really like to put in them.

8. hemidodge

hemidodge Junior Member

Jango. I found a great deal on a couple of lightly used wheels so I bought both. One dyna quad 28 x 21 and a dqx 28 x 22. Hope I can use them???

9. Bruce Hess

Bruce Hess Junior Member

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say I'd already own her not that I already own her. I'm still shopping. If you know of any deals out there let me know.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

it does more then just slow your boat down,,,it also makes it handle differently,,it also matter WHERE the weight is,,and in certain cases weight can make you roll,,pitch,,and scare the crap out of ya with just a little wave,,,,,i have BUILT these boats,, i KNOW how they handle,,,,,,again" weight has an effect on EVERY boat",,so now we need to add,,,"MORE then just your speed"

11. hemidodge

hemidodge Junior Member

the1much

I can agree that things change with weight. However in the case of a 31 BHM , weight adds to the performance of the boat because that is what it was designed for. The only disadvantage that I know of is they lose some speed and it uses more fuel.

12. hemidodge

hemidodge Junior Member

Bruce
    31s are for sale all the time in New England. All different price ranges too. The transport might put it out of reach though. I'm guessing 10k just for that.

I have a 35 duffy & duffy for sale some day. Should be this fall. Do you like lobster boats? :0)

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

so,,,,in the long run,, that means you cant have as big of a pay load that it is designed for?,, and again,,it matters where that weight is.
    i aint trying to be mouthy ;) ,, its just that i grew up fishing too,, and weight was always TOP priority,,( other then no holes hehe ) ,,and when talking about a boat designed for work,,,, then you limit that design,, and change it,,even with weight out of the issue, just a bigger power plant,, with a different design can matter hugely in how the boat twist,, hauls,, carries itself,, and more.,, in the long run it may not matter 1 bit,, in fact could make it better,,,, but he asked for advice,,, and to give sound advice you must tell "both sides", and their consequences for each.and since all you have to do is take it fer a spin to see how it is "now",,, then he must look at all of the "other" side.and even after talking to all of us,, before he does "change" things,, he should sit down with 1 of those "smat" people and go over the #'s

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

is there any other kind of boat? hehe ;)
    i hear its startin ta cool down up theryah ,,hehe ;)

15. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Hemidodge.

28 x 22 props are just right for a 16000 LB boat, 350 hp engine turning 3200 rpm with a 2.5 gear box OR 3.0 gear, engine turning 3800 rpm - 17.75 knots

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.