outboard cowling switch for updated one

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by chumnuts, Aug 22, 2006.

1. chumnuts

chumnuts Junior Member

Has anyone ever switched the old stock cowling for a newer year model on a evinrude johnson 225 hp. Ive seen it done on mercury outboards. I have a 1987 thats on a 1997 flats boat. The motor is flawless, except its got that old looking cowling. Would love to make it a oceanrunner or even e- tec. model. Poor mans updated repower.

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Why not just respray it and put some newer decals on it?
    You wouldn't be trying to flog it to some poor unsuspecting bugger as something it's not?...

3. chumnuts

chumnuts Junior Member

I have already painted with alwgrip, removed all plastic badges and smoothed everything out. I was told that the oceanrunner cowlings would bolt right up. The mid sections look identical. Im not trying to pass it off just make everything look late 90s. I love the motor just hate the old school cowling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.