Outboard brands

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by BAK, Feb 27, 2004.

1. BAK

BAK New Member

Hello, I am new to this forum so I may just be repeating a question (topic).
    Here goes anyway. I am looking for a new outbard in the 25 to 40 horse power range.In my area I am familiar with Honda and Yamaha but Tohatsu is new and not well represented. I am looking for opinions on which brand is best.Not which is best for the money but which is most reliable and longest lived.I boat on the Yukon and drifting downsteam to the next town came sometimes take a couple of days. Thanks for any replies,BL.

2. cgorton

cgorton Junior Member

I have always liked Yamaha's. They tend to be a bit more expensive, and worth it. If they are serviced near you, that's an excellent choice.

3. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

If service is near buy you cant go wrong w/ Jonhson 5 year warrenty and Evinrudes 7 years

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I agree with Nomad, always had good luck with Evinrude/Johnson.

5. BAK

BAK New Member

Wow almost instant replys.Let me narrow down my question.I have owned Johnsons Hondas and Yamahas.Are Tohatsus any good?Also for some reason Johnsrude is the also ran motor in all the dealers up here. maybe because of the transitito to Bombardier or whatever is going on.

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Here is a testimonial from a Yukon fisherman on the new Evinrude e-tec fuel injected 2-strokes. It looks like Bombardier is working some of their expertise learned with Rotax aircraft engines and jet skis/snowmobiles into outboards. Might shake up the competition.

http://www.evinrude.com/docs/100/0_US.htm

I have no idea about how good this engine is or if it will live up to the glowing press releases, but it makes me rethink the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke controversy.

I now run a Yamaha 50 4 stroke and it has proven very reliable over 4 years of use. But I have also had good results with Mercury, Yamaha and Evinrude 2 strokes. Most problems with all outboards is in the fuel system and that is most often the result of a lack of proper maintenance. I hear than some of the Japanese brands like Nissan and others have powerheads built by Tohatsu but don't quote me on that.

7. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Since you brought up the E-tec... I ran a few in May last year and have been in love with them since. My next river boat will have one. Once they get a full line up of them out no one will be able to touch them for a few years. And a 7 year warrenty helps ease your fears of an untested engine

8. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

outboard choice

You seem curious about Tohatsu.My cousin used Tohatsu to crabpot with(lot of slow trolling,start and go)and he was impressed,until he began looking for parts.The bottom line with outboards,especially in remote areas,who is your nearest dealer?My preference is Yamaha 4 strokes,purchased new and well maintained.With outboards,the dealer is your friend, unless you are a mechanic with a shop manual and internet to order parts.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Tohatsu and Nissan are the same with different paintjobs. The new small Mecurys are Tohatsu too. I worked as a Nissan dealer, and their warranty is poor. The service manuals are bad too. We have had to figure many problems without their help. The new Johnson/Evinrudes are very good. Yamaha makes good quality motors. I think that buying a motor that has a local dealer is always your best bet.

10. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

This isn't exactly on topic since much has likely changed with newer models, and maybe it is just luck, but I do have to say that for little outboards, I've never had a better one than an 18 hp Nissan that I bought in 1992, used. I didn't expect too much but the price was right. Boy was I surprised! That Nissan is the best small outboard I ever owned. It starts with a single pull, never has failed. With minimal winterization, every spring it starts up within 3 pulls. Never stalled, never missed. Total maintenance consisted of changing the gear lube once a year and a spark plug. Gonzo really knows his stuff, so my story quite possibly would have been different if something major went wrong and I needed service or a service manual, but so far it's been a perfect performer and I couldn't imagine how the Nissan itself could have performed any better over the years in any way. Again, this isn't really a scientific post since my experience with outboards is so much more limited than the others that have posted here (I've only had a half dozen and only one Nissan), but since the Nissan is one big reason I haven't needed to buy others, I felt obligated to defend it's name. :)

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Nissans are very good motors. I own one myself. Many dealers are loosing interest in selling them because the company has no tech support and pays only a fraction of the labor. I think that if you buy a new motor warranty service, which is included in the sale price, should be a priority.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.