Outboard bracket / pod meaurements

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by troycomp14, Apr 5, 2012.

1. troycomp14

troycomp14 New Member

Hi All,

Apologies if my terminology isn't up to scratch, I am new to boat modifications, but quickly developing a passion for it.:D

I have a Pongrass 4.2m surfmaster with a motor well. I would like to add a outboard pod with platform to give me more room in the boat. I would be building it out of marine ply and and fibreglass.

I am unsure what measurments need to be taken in to consideration when building a pod. I understand if you get them wrong you can create cavitation problems.

This is the finial product I would love to have outboard pod with swim platform.jpg

1) How do I workout the hight of the platform - how many mm/inches should it be above the waterline?

2) In the pic the bottom on the pod seems higher than the bottom of the hull - how should this be calculated.

3) How long does the pod need to be from the existing transom

4) I am sure there are neumerous other factors, so if you have any links that may help me research further it would be much appreaciated.

Thanks,
    Troy

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

you need to know what outboard you are fitting ..short long shaft but best measure on the actual outboard as 15 inch standard can be 18 in .......a 20 in long shaft is often 22 in ...Then if the pod is to become an extension of the hull bottom then the anti vent plate will be level with the bottom just as it would be on a std hull, ie like your photo.

If your pod bottom is above the hull bottom skin level ( ie out the water when on the plane) then you can lift the motor by 2 in for every 6 in it is mounted away from the old transom.....so a pod 18 in long motor up 6 in but allow for some adjustment when you have it on the water... this system allows for a shallower draught.... see this on www.stabicraft.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.