One question

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Huw, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Huw

Huw Guest

Hello everyone,

I have posted this thread to find out what reasons here are on why power boats are more popular than sail boats.

Kind regards
    Huw

2. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

I can only speak for myself.
    I have a destination so it is not about the trip.
    My crew does not have to help except for docking.
    I am not at the winds mercy, remember I have a destination.

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Everyone has learn how to sail. If they have a key, almost anyone can run a powerboat.

More people are attracted to noise and speed than to slow and quiet.

A boat seems a lot like a car without wheels. A sailboat seems alien and maybe a bit scary by comparison.

I have both and appreciate what each has to offer.

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

I think Woodboat and Tom justed summerized the two most important reasons:

- People like speed and noise
    - Most people use their boat to get to their destination

I personally feel that sailboat people are sailing because of the trip and not the destination. They're more prone to adjust their schedule, but that's also the nature of the boat.
    I don't care for speed, just like being on the water. The kind of craft isn't really important, but I prefer a sailboat.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It could also be the perception of having to "sail" the boat, which may require a séance or sacrifice to the water gods. Folks that haven't been on a sailboat don't usually understand. Most people in general think it's a bunch of work and effort, just to slosh along. Although they also think it may be romantic being on a sailboat, not a big calling amongst the guys down at the local sports bar.

These aren't typically things our get it done now, blast ahead culture embraces easily. When anyone who can afford a second mortgage can have the 750 HP, sleeps 10, monolithic power cruiser, that's just a bit bigger then the guy you don't like much down the street.

Though it's not true, it is perceived that power craft require no skills to operate. When I lived in St. Pete, I was on a little cove where there was a city launch ramp. Two or three times a month in the summer, I'd have to go over and beat around the bush asking questions of the fool in the ramp who's boat seems rather stern heavy. How long have you had it, what kind of experience do you have and without trying to embarrass them too much, was the plug put in? 9 out of ten don't know about the plug, or saw it in the glove box but thought it was for the gas tank or something. I kept an eye on the activity on the ramp, because this was the only way out for my two boats which I used near daily. I actually bought a well used 4x4 Chevy just to drag their now quite soggy craft, trailer and car up the ramp. These same folks would always seem to show up dragging a tandem axle with 5,000 lb. of mega cruiser on it, behind a 20 year old 4 cylinder Mustang II, needing a ring job.

6. I like both for different reasons. Power, brings out the, "look at me", attitude. Sail brings out the beautiful scenery and later, "they are great people to go boating with", attitude. A tied up cruiser also brings out the "great people" attitude also. I need both on the same body of water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.