Ok I don't own it

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Boston, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well its been a while and I've just been kinda regrouping after that last little experience.

thanks for all the suggestions by the way as they are most appreciated. I'm still in the market and I'm still looking but I'm a bit gun shy at the moment of biting off more than I can chew and 65' is a bit much for my needs.

I did find a nice little sailer dirt cheep

[​IMG]

$1500 and 600 annually for storage

I've been in contact with the seller and will be speaking with him again today

my bet is she needs a complete rebuild, and I can reuse most of the stuff. Lead is pricey as are fittings so its likely worth it as long as its complete and unmolested so to speak

I have a pile of white oak ready to go and just found a nice source for yellow cedar.

wasn't expecting to build a friendship but the boats so cheep that its bound to be worth it and I'm kinda dying to slice and dice some of this wood.

anyway thanks again for all the suggestions
    specially that Mathews 42
    I've got a call into them as well but have yet to hear back from them

1 person likes this.
  4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Friendship Sloop #53 Eagle, 32' LOD, from 1915, builder Wilbur A. Morse.

Buy her and have fun for $ 1,500 or less. Not much to loose, sailing (and work) fun to gain!

http://www.fss.org/sloops2.htm

Good Luck!
    Angel

BTW, this is a Powerboat thread ;)

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I got the guys number and although I'm not sure its in sailing condition it seems like a steal steel ? you know what I mean

anyway ya
    working on it

its a nice area up there to
    kinda secluded and some pretty nice sailing water
    unlike the inside passage which has fast currents, contrary and cold wind, it does have some pretty big tides up there though maybe not as big as the inside passage but still not to be underestimated.

the marina is cheap to

anyway cheers
    B

6. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

OK, here some inspiration how to sail her... (pics from here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Start a Friendship Sloop thread and let's see where this will end...

Good Luck!
    Angel

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok talked to the guy ( Richard ) and he says the boat is basically in need of a rebuild, all the stuff is intact and the engine is almost new, hardly any hours on it and stored properly, fluids drained and fill with oil. Is not suitable for the inside passage

I also talked to the folks with the Mathiews people and she wants 15k for it, its more the kinda boat I was looking for but its kinda a can of worms. Is more suited for the inside passage

8. masalai

masalai masalai

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

always interesting stuff Mas and good to hear from you

yes I am making several foreign investments as of this week, my boat deal fell through ( it was some kind of scam if you ask me ) and I need to do something with the money rather than just let it sit. That and I need to do a bit more than just hedge against inflation. I'm not really finding any old commuter yacht in my price range and I guess I just need to be patient and wait till something pops up.

The old friendship is a Wilbur Morse 1915 original. The previous owner did a lot of work basically replacing everything except the hull which has been out of the water for about 3 years now. Its a rebuild for yard fee's with a new engine, sails, original stove, masts, spars, rigging, steering, guy pretty much replaced everything including a new teak deck but never touched the hull. Anyway I got friends back east so who knows, I'm still thinking about it

cheers

10. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

yeah thanks mas, boston why not buy a tad roberts design, you can save so much grief which inevitably comes with old boats

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Hi Peter
    that's pretty interesting advice coming from the old boat guru himself
    if I was thinking of repairing a few planks and setting sail then ya I'd say I was in for a lot of yearly repairs assuming nothing gave way during the season. But if I just plan on rebuilding the entire hull at once ( assuming I decide to buy it ) and reusing the "stuff" then I'd think I would get some number of trouble free years out of her. Ya I could build something else but I've always liked these and if the hull is what 15~20% of total cost then I end up with a great little weekender for hull cost + $1500. I have about 2000' of white oak 8' random width 4/4 so I got a hell of a start on the materials. calk, paint, bronze screws and bolts, maybe a few new fittings. That and it will keep my focus which as some of you might have noticed is not my strong point.

I've just started seriously looking for something to do and this thing just kinda jumped up at me

Tads designs are really spectacular but at this moment is the economy the deals on used boats are just to good to pas up. This ( if I go for it ) is a relatively small investment. $1500 isn't going to put much of a dent in my finances and $100 a month at the yard is pretty dam cheap as well. I could take the lines off her and build somewhere close by then transfer all the stuff to the knew hull. My cousins live out there and they would love it Im sure. Anyway I'm not committed to anything yet so am still opened to suggestions.

Oh another mitigating factor is my job is somewhat seasonal so although I have some pans in the fire at the moment nothing has come through yet and I'm basically back to no income for the next six months or so. I gotta keep my expenditures down.

Always great to hear from you and thanks for the input
    I'll chalk that one up as a "dont do it" and see who else agrees with you
    basically I'm kinda counting on you guys so please dont feel that the advise goes unheard

cheers
    B

1 person likes this.
  12. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

were right with you , good luck whatever you choose

1 person likes this.
  13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

OK my two cents.

I will not waste my money if its not my goal (The friendship is very nice and cheap, but it is not your goal, as I understood)

I will not invest the money, under the mattress is the safest.

I will continue searching like a detective for the most wanted.

I will travel if necessary, and hired a good surveyor, and make understood to the brokers that you are not kidding when you tell them the story of the last broker encounter with your shotgun :D

Good luck and stay on the lookout, she is up there waiting for you.
    Daniel

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I just saw a bunch of pictures of the hull, the planking and frame are pretty straight, stem looks sprung. The topsides are a disaster and the bilge looks like it had 6 to 8 inches in it for a while. All in all I'm leaning away from it unless the guy can send me some picts of all the stuff thats been removed. I heard rumor it was complete but, no.

cheers
    B

oh
    found an elco sedan 36 for 14k but its not all that for an elco. Mater of fact I am kinda surprised Elco made vessels that cheap looking

15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Boston,
    Why don't you just pick up where you left off and build the Atkin boat? Or that other one w the raised pilothouse and lower aft cabin. I really liked that one but don't remember her name. Both are much better boats than that ice-cream-boat that got snatched.

Easy Rider

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.