New Owner of a Bertram 20

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Jenerator, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Hello guys....

Just picked up this classic for a project boat...

Shes gonna need new power and a new leg, thinking about a V8 (small block ford). Im going to sand her down, give her some new paint, fix up her brightwork and I think shell look pretty good.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

How's she holding up structurally, down under the sole in the stringer grid? That, more than looks, is what I'd want to know. Good luck with your project!

3. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

marshmat, I had a good look all thru her before i bought her and she looks sound. I also had a very reputable surveyer look her over as well. He tapped all of what he could get at and said she shows no signs of rot or delamination thru the stringers. A couple spots of delam fwd of the fwd bulkhead, and some on the bow, right along the stem. Not a big deal, i plan to repair her myself, or as much as i can do.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Sounds awesome. Bertrams are generally pretty nice boats. The 5.0 and 5.7 litre engines are everywhere; surely in an ocean city like Victoria you'll be able to find at least a few competing dealers willing to sell you a repower package. I might suggest a duoprop or B3 sterndrive since a small block has a fair bit of torque for a boat that size, and the extra manoeuverability will be welcome dockside or when fishing.

5. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Matt, I was thinking of getting a remanufactured Bravo 1 drive from a local Merc dealer, and a older small block from the local classifieds or dealer.

I think the Bravo is a good choice because of the added strength and duribility of the components.

But that is still a few months away, I'm in no hurry. I need to get her hull looking better first.

6. Jason Cosler

Jason Cosler Junior Member

Congratulations on the Moppie. I looked at this one online and am strongly considering another one to rehab. Looking at converting to an OB on one with a blown I/O. Have you seen the one with the teak deck (http://www.maplebay.com/11boat.htm)? Very nice. Why don't they make boats like this anymore?

7. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Thanks Jason. No, I havent seen that one, the link didnt work.

There is a converted OB Moppie around me. The guy is a hardcore fisherman and he wanted more room out the back. I personaly dont like it.

I like the nice flush look, plus if I do any fishing, is off my dad's 29 Blackfin.

I do agree with you that they dont build boats like ours anymore. Mine was built at a local yard in 1968 which still has a great reputation. She is rock solid.

Back in the day when they didnt know how little fiberglass they could get away with.

Good luck on your restoration.

8. Jason Cosler

Jason Cosler Junior Member

9. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

No doubt, that is a beautiful boat.

Im going for a different look myself, restoring her as close as I can to original, with a few modern improvments for functionality.

10. johnkt

johnkt New Member

Bertram 20

Hi, Looks like a excellent project! How far have you got so far? I have just finished putting together a Bertram 20 Bahia Mar, its taken about eight months. It was just a hull and trailer when I bought it. I have powered it with a Volvo penta 200hp V8 and a 290 leg. You wouldn't believe how many hours have been spent and money. Put it in the H2O for the first time yesterday.Awesome! If you would like I could send youa couple of pictures. Thanks John
    johnkt@value.net.nz

Attached Files:

11. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

Better to go with a GM power rather then Ford. GM is much more available and far less exspensive to maintain. Tom.

12. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Johnkt, Yeah send me some pics Id love to see them. I have just finished taking her down to just the hull.

I have lined up a very reputable painter who is going to give me a few tips on what to do for the prep, as i plan to do most of the prep work myself. She will have to be painted for sure... but not a big deal, I hear paint is better than gelcoat now-a-days anyhow.

I have just seen a similer boat to mine repowered with a Merc 350MPI Horizon, which puts out 300hp. The guy who did the install has put about 4 hours in on the water and claims it does 50 mph. Ill be happy if i can cruise at 20 - 25 knots.

13. johnkt

johnkt New Member

Bertram 20

Hi, As you say the 2 pot paints these days is excellent. This is what I painted mine with. The prep work is the hard grunt but you cant get an excellent finish if you don't put the effort in. It never seems to be finished. I took mine out for its first real run today and what an awesome boat. Handles like a dream. 200hp at 4500rpm punched it out of the water like a bullet. With the hp you are talking about your boat will move!
    thanks John

14. johnkt

johnkt New Member

15. trouty

trouty Guest

Bert made a 20?

in Canada?

Maybe so...but I don't believe so - maybe someone can correct me tho! (with the proper history)....as I understood it (andI'm more than willing to be corrected)....Bert did a badge engineering deal a long times back with Aussie carribean manufacturer to make the smaller berts downunder (25 ft and smaller) which just happened to look exactly like their raymond hunt designed Bertram bigger brothers stateside. These were sent all over the world as best I know.

Theres still heaps and heaps of the smaller locally made carribean berts downunder (one cruised past on the canal not 10 mins ago)...and places like www.boatlocator.com.au have quite a few for sale most times.

That said they were / are great boats, well built and Carribean are still going strong with a very big following in their own right in larger flybridge cruisers etc today..

Course - I could be wrong....I was once...I remeber it well!:D

Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.