New Owner of a Bertram 20

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Jenerator, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Guys,

I have just got my baby back from Irion Machine in Maple Ridge. They made this outstanding windshield.

As well Blackline Marine has restored the hull.

I have had outstanding service at both companies, they have exceeded my expectations of quality and finished product.

Let me know what you think...

Attached Files:

2. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

By the way,

As the work was top notch by both companies, it wasn't cheap. I could have easily spent the money ,invested so far, on a brand new Sea Ray, or Whaler. And I still haven't purchased the $20,000 engine and drive.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have done anything different.

I think she deserves to be restored.

I am curious to know what you guys think, and your opinions on the design.

If you guys have any questions about the companies who have done the work, let me know...

(I will get some better pics up in a few weeks)

3. jsh

jsh Junior Member

Jenerator:

Boat looks great.
    I am finishing a rebuild on a 22' deep vee from the Betram/Canoe Cove/Lynnwood line
    I have chosen an inboard set up and a center console.
    rebuild vs turn key? in my case I could have bought a lot of boat for what I have spent, but I will have lot of boat when I am done. For me the trade off is more related to time lost doing other fun things whilst in the build phase.
    20k buys some nice gear what are you considering?
    john

4. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

John, thanks for the complement...

I am thinking about a Volvo Penta Duoprop, 320hp. She should move along at a pretty good clip. I have not decided on which drive though. The ocean series has a composite drive, but I dont think it looks as good as the regular DuoProp. The vovlo's seem to be a little better thought out as the Mercruisers. The volvos are a little bit narrower which will fit just a bit better in the engine compartment. And they have the EVC digital engine management system which has a nice set of gauges and controls.

Overall I think it will be better choice, cleaner design, and a bit more power (300hp vs 320hp)

5. smoke

smoke Junior Member

i just got my bertram 20 1966,yesterday,just don't know where to start

6. smoke

smoke Junior Member

where's the parts store for original ha

7. JOHN2468

JOHN2468 New Member

Help

CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY LEADS TO WHERE I CAN GET PARTS FOR MY BERTRAM 20'. THANK YOU JOHN

8. smoke

smoke Junior Member

That boat looks great,nice job,John an e-mail said you left a reply to me, I haven't seen it unless you meant all the info on the Jenerators post. Thanks

9. JOHN2468

JOHN2468 New Member

Help

Please Let Me Know Any Places I Can Buy Stuff For My 1966 20' Bertram. Thanks John

10. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

Jenerator,

I'm curious what you finally chose for power. Your baby Bertram is beautiful by the way.

If you have not installed the engine package yet, Id recommend the 4.3 MPI with Bravo III or the volvo equilivant. You really do not need more power. with this set-up, the B20 will push past 50 mph.

My old Bahia Mar was redone by the guy that bought it from me. He put in a Volvo 5.7 280 hp. The boat will plane at 1800 rpm and is scary fast (high 50's) without messing around with trim.

I think you'll like the waterline at rest with the 4.3 better as well.

Post some more pictures!

Ian.

11. garrett w

garrett w New Member

bahia mar

I have a 1968 bahia mar. since purchase 5 months ago i repowered with a ford 302 and an alpha 1 gen 1 drive 1:50 ratio with a 23 pitch prop. The boat planes at 1800 rpm's and runs 57 knots. Flies!!!!. I refitted the electronics with a chartplotter, vhf, radio with 10 in subwoofer, outriggers, rod holders, new aluminum trailer, wiring, nav lights, anchor windlass, etc. On top of the purchase price i have uncautiously dropped $5300 into the remodeling. This last monday i ran out to the steeples (40 miles east) trolled for 3 hours and came in. I burned 33 gallons with a 95 mile trip. the boat is really efficient with the 302. its a 289 block with a 302 bore. I noticed everyones bahia mar projects and was interested in other's ideas and here for help with their projects. This is the smallest boat iv owned and by far the best, unfortunatly i will be selling it soon

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.