new to boats-is older boat ok?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by hannahsmom, May 3, 2005.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

cyclops- 'fraid I'm no traveller, but everyone should pass on the devil's-advocate lesson to anyone who's buying anything- house, car, boat, whatever....

2. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

Were you the winner?

3. hannahsmom

hannahsmom Junior Member

yep. still recovering from the "what did we do" . Thanks to you all it's contingent on a surveyor; and our boat friend turned out to be friends with the owner's mechanic. Also we think we can get an immediate slip in moss landing- 25 mins away. so we get the mech. out to check the engine, give him 1000 deposit and truck it down to the harbor- spend a week before we can get a hull guy to check it out. then I will be here bragging on my salmon.

4. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

Well awesome, sounds like you got a good deal.

5. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I'd start to worry, but that's just me. Again, have someone experienced look at the hull (fiberglass, I assume) for blisters and strength and have a mechanic do a runthrough of all primary systems: W/C, water, fuel, engine, steering, throttle etc.
    Buy some nice SOLAS Type I PFDs, a good set of flares (check out landfallnavigation.com) and 2 or so good inflatable PFDs for you and your husband to wear all the time on the boat. Get a Switlik RescuePod or something of that nature as well.

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

What mackid said.

I'd add that if you're new to boating it's worthwile to take a short course in the basics.... something that covers colregs, navaids, weather, etc. as it will make you a lot more confident and a lot safer on the water.

Happy boating!

7. hannahsmom

hannahsmom Junior Member

Thanks- So far we have found a basic boating course through the coast guard aux. that my husband will take this spring- than next fall I will take the long, detailed version. They also have a new boat check- nothing structural, just safety and info. Of course now my husband is looking for a truck to tow the boat- sigh... the money sink has started.

8. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Truck...truck...fuel...costly...Take the course, it'll help. Also, read Ted Brewer's basic boat design guide. I forgot the exact title, but it is a boat design bible and it'll help you choose hull types and what not.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.