New Boat (up in air)

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by boatboy80, Jan 22, 2008.

1. boatboy80

boatboy80 New Member

I'm new to the board so I just wanted to say thanks to everyone before I get started. I'm getting ready to buy my first performance boat. I have it narrowed down to a 35 Fountain with twin staggered 525 or a 38 Donzi with Twin staggered 700's I was just wondering what everyone thought of these two boats. will be used on fresh water in land lakes no ocean boating in the future. So please let me hear what you have to say

2. yipster

yipster designer

vroemmm, down to earth, consider fuell prices, inland waterway speedlimits and some more costs

3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

The Fountain gets my vote. But I wouldn't rule out Eliminator, Formula, Hallett, or Lavey Craft either. They debate this sort of thing for weeks over on www.offshoreonly.com

Kelly Cook

4. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Forgive me if I'm rude, but this has to be said:

Having spent time in the greater Cornelius metroplex, I have some opinions.
    I hope you are not planning to run that boat on Lake Norman, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your location was "Charlotte."

If you run it on a lake, at least make it a great lake, not a dammed river with a million little coves, no long open stretches and lots of kids in small boats. (90% incompetent, BTW).

Why run those nice motors wide open cold, then shut them down as soon as you hit a stump? (Assuming you can still move your fingers)
    And if no WOT, why bother in the first place?

Hopefully I am barking up the wrong tree with this concern.
    But if you're running with the nascar boys you will pay no attention to sanity, well I had to try.

<intended to be taken with salt -an ocean, not a grain.>;)

5. GG

GG offshore artie

fountian also gets my vote considering we built them at skater many years ago . i have to say that there are a lot of great boats out there that can give you a lot of bang for the buck Powerquest ,Saber , and sunsation ,which are built right here in mich ,and being a menber of O.S.O. myself KCook is so very right about the debate on O.S.O. A.K.

6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Heh! I don't know how much of the post by BWD was tongue-in-cheek, but his "no long open stretches" is a very valid point. These hyper speed boats are popular here on Lake Havasu. Which IS a dammed river. However it also does have long open stretches. Lakes that are very narrow and wind around a lot are not a good choice for high speed boating.

And welcome to BoatDesign Arthur!

Kelly

7. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Well, it was all tongue in cheek but also all true.
    And all speculation. Know nothing about where this boater boats.
    Lake Norman (the river formerly known as Catawba) was dammed for a nuke plant.
    Silly place for a ciggie, unless it's from RJR.
    Don't get me wrong, speed is good.
    But I fear the big guns will die of frustration, longing for the sea, with red carolina clay clogging up their gills.
    As a practical matter, one would surely be driving like a (fill-in-the blank)-head crossing all those lake "fingers" at 50+. (Remember, no brakes!)

But it is mere speculation anyone would think of running such a boat on such a lake.
    In NC, of all places!:rolleyes:
    Would be like racing around a parking lot in thing they auctioned off with one of dale earnhardt's engine blocks in it last week, if y'all follow.

~~Here Endeth Tangential Rant~~

PS: best luck finding a sweet boat!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.