new to boat building

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by newbiejon24, May 3, 2009.

1. newbiejon24

newbiejon24 Junior Member

wow thanks for the info... I will have to redo my whole project now.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

14.50' beam divided by 30.00' length = 48.33%. so the beam is 48.33% of the length.
    Reduce the length by 40% = 12'. 30' -12' = 18'. 48.33% of 18' = 8'-6"
    You cannot just reduce everything equally you have to do it it in percentages in relation to other factors. So a 60% model would be 18' x 8'-6" Should be stable. You can power a boat that size to go 90++ mph if you desire. Designed right of course. Now you have a small Miss Budweiser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then put on all the decals and coat with one coat of clear varnish. They tear off over 100 mph if not.
    Best, stan Wood Lasts Generations.

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

60-100 mph on choppy water in a Hydroplane ..I think not ...who is going to check your path for debris ??? ..the only thing thats going fast on rough water and is small is a jetski....Ah you want to kill yourself I see.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There have been quite a few Miss Budweiser's since it appeared in 1963 as the 4 seat "Beer Wagon". Which one are you interested in?

You've seen the races and the crashes. The miniature versions of these do exactly the same thing, stand on their tail and dance, just before the take off, landing and bashing themselves to bits. They must be run in exceptionally smooth water or you should tell the wife to carry a good insurance policy on your butt.
    [​IMG]
    1981 - still piston powered (12 cyl.)
    [​IMG]
    2002 - the jet age
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glen-L's 10' Super Spartan that can take a 35 HP short shaft. Some minor cosmetics and it'll sort of look like a Miss Bud. A good paint job will sell the concept.

5. newbiejon24

wow guy thanks for the vote of confidence :eek: I wasnt going to open her up till a nice calm day... How about a mini cat with some cosmetic adjustments? do you guys think that would handle in the lake a bit better.(safer)

6. newbiejon24

and i was deffently going for the jet engine version

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

You carnt have a hydroplane with minimal freeboard wollowing about in rough water at 10 knots ....its either up on top at 40 + with calm water or in the dock. How often is lake Erie like a mirror ?? and of course you wont be jumping the wash from bigger boats.......ha ha

Jet engine .....better call the boat "Donald Campbell 2 " RIP

8. PAR

What everyone is trying to tell you Newbiejon24, is the idea of a three point (or any high speed hydro), regardless of power type is going to be difficult to use in lake Erie. As has been repeatedly mentioned, these types of boats are a no compromise, don't make any mistakes and hope you're lucky kind of machine. You can have a perfect sea state conditions, drive conservatively and still end up with a pile of splinters for a boat. There's no short cut to this type of craft, it's up and screaming or it's lumbering along trying not to swamp with every passing boat wake or wavelet. They only do one thing well and they have a particularly nasty habit of stuffing a bow or flipping, both of which will render it a pile of scrap wood.

9. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Have you ever actually gone that fast on the water? Go borrow or rent a fast jetski or get someone who has one of those go-fast boats to take you out for a ride. Going 60 on the water is nothing, I repeat nothing like going 60 on land. It can be pretty scary. I've done it, and a little faster. The smaller the boat the scarier it is. And if you make a mistake at that speed, hitting the water is like hitting concrete. That's why racers wear special vests and crash helmets.

Many hydros have special cockpits designed to survive in a crash. Unlimiteds, unlimited lights, and really fast drag boats use essentially the same cockpit used in F-16 fighter jets.

Should you do this, I suggest you find a calmer and smaller lake to try it out. Get to know the boat before you take it out on the big water. Even unlimited hydros are only raced when it is very calm. Races get cancel if the water gets rough, and what they consider rough may not be consider rough by someone in a 16-20 foot v-bottom outboard. It's all a matter of degree.

10. newbiejon24

11. PAR

This is a similar situation as the three point. It's a high speed, single purpose vessel. It too can be easily flipped, rolled or augured. It's a little more forgiving then a three point, but it's still a boat you'll want St. Christopher himself sitting in your lap for each ride, not just a medallion around your neck on a chain. It can also handle slightly rougher conditions, but again . . .

If you want to go fast in rough water try a Sea Sled or a deep V mono. You'll also need a boat large enough to absorb the abuse rough water can dish out. A small boat, one with a portable outboard, generally isn't going to have the freeboard necessary to handle much more then a small shuffle of a sea. If you insist, a jet ski is an option. It's small, has the freeboard and the power to weight ratio, but the motor isn't portable. You could ax the inboard and jet, going with an portable outboard, but why bother, especially when you consider you will likely drown the outboard attempting maneuvers that the jet could easy do (read, well protected inboard). Which is just as BustedPiston suggested.

12. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

As PAR stated you really want a deep vee. A Donzi 16 - 21 or Formula Junior would be very good. the Clark Craft Mongoose 19' closely resembles both and can be outboard powered. These also offer some of the amenities of a 'real' boat such as a roomier cockpit that can accomodate 4 (or more), tow water skiers or a tube and can even be fished from. As far as styling you could always get creative with a hardtop and motor cover (if you go the I/O route).
    There have been previous threads here on the Formula Junior that may help.

13. Grantus

Grantus New Member

Hey Man
    New to this site too. But I am interested in your idea. I am sorry but the others are right hydroplanes are really scary stuff, but. When I was doing my first year of my boat building apprenticeship I did design a 12' runabout that was powered by a 13b rotary and a jet ski jet. The whole thing was only about 6 grand aussie and ripped the lids off most of the boats where I live (the only reason why it didnt smash them all it because I used to live where the worlds largest ski race also resides). If you want I can shoot you over some of the really rough plans for the boat.

14. newbiejon24

by all means please do... my email is Quadracer2492@hotmail.com I heard that a jet drive kills like 40% of the motors efficiency over a prop... is this true?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.