Need for speed, 19th Century style

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by charmc, May 22, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Expect that pricing sooner than later, and probably a lot sooner than you think or would like.... :D:D:D:p

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

One of my all time favourites was Maple Leaf IV, the first vessel to hit 40 knots. She featured quite prominently in one of Uffa Fox's fabulous books (as did Turbina)
    Many of these older boats have a certain grace that is so lacking in todays barges. Sadly, as I've stated before, I don't think we'll see much of a change until it becomes socially unacceptable to be seen owning an inefficient boat.

Thanks for the heads-up on the article... Proboat takes so long to reach our side of the pond, but is always worth the wait

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"But you wouldn't really consider it an option to replace any existing marine vessel except for "nostalgia" or personal amusement."

WELL.... The Style of some of the old boats was grand!

I'm in love with the concept of a comfy bow cockpit (for nice days) and those always fitted awnings aft look far better than baby buggy stuff of today.

I am still a fan of the b"look" of STROLLER , a '29's Herrishoff Commuter style boat (posted on this board) .

Really fine is the folks on the back deck are reclining on a couch like area almost 4 ft deep!

With modern fly weight auto recycled diesels (BMW Yannmar) with power to weight ratios they couldn't dream of in the Sterling Era, and strong GRP or aluminum that could probably reduce the hull weight by 3/4, a fas economical cruiser should be OTS today.

Just so long as it looks YARE,, not like a NIKE its good with me!

FF

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Danish I was being a 'smart arse' PAR is after all one of the Naval Architect gang most of whom I would't be seen dead with (ther's a couple of exceptions two of who are on here, I won't say who because I wouldn't want to ruin their rep-ar-tations)!!!

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Personally, I'd like to see all boats powered with C-7 units, those decaying isotope batteries they use on satellites and interplanetary spacecraft. They have zero emissions (well don't break one open and eat the contents) and they are a quite safe source of electricity, which don't require coal, oil or a big *** hydro powered dam to recharge. NASA has been using them for decades with impeccable reliability.

Safe, I've managed to ruin my reputation without the help of anyone. Apparently (according to the one who must be obeyed) I've specialized in just this, over the years.

Will and Fred, I have a soft spot (okay, other then the one on the side of my head) for the early steam powered torpedo boats, like Dupont (1897, 27 knots) or the launch Swiftshore. George Watson developed some really fine models. Some of these boats were so efficient that their fuel bill across 20 years of service, was that of a single year for the gas engines and fat hulls to follow of similar speed and capacity.

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

gonna happen,,,,,300 dallars a barrle,,longliner

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Then watch all the tankers rush to port to discharge and realise their profit, and all the rest try to sell as futures or sommat, then chaos as some realise their tankers are full of "salt water".... he he he....

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I have a soft spot for the early steam powered...

There has been great tech improvements in engines over the decades, although steam seems to have been left behind.

Anyone know how to convert a big turbo from a truck into a steam turbine?

Any progress on 4 stage steam engines that can match the advances in diesels?

Sure would be nice to cruise , just tossing bags of coal (still cheapest fuel) into a boiler.

Of course either the Air Police , or some "steam shovelers" union guy might mess it up!

But almost silent steam at least wont suffer the price of batterys from UNOBTANIUM .

FF

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Here is a modern design for a compact steam engine. Even shows a guy living Fred's fantasy. :D
    http://www.greensteamengine.com/

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"It may also be use for air-conditioning and refrigeration pumps, as well as air circulation systems. It may be run on air or steam."

If it could run of the propulsion engines exhaust , it could be really useful.

But the site is 4 years old , and I'm not seeing them anywhere.

FF

11. PAR

I see several issues with this steam engine design. The site suggests no lubrication is required, but those piston/cylinder wall interfaces will need some sort of lube. As would the flexible yoke and the bearings, which appear lightly loaded, but at reasonable RPM will get hot enough to warrant something.

With all "air" engines, you have to generate pressurized gas (compressed air or steam) which offers the question "how". Do you carry a bunk of coal around and a traditional box/boiler? Do you use a electric motor to drive a compressor, with a generator mounted to the steam engine? What about the diminishing returns on a hybrid setup like this? How much charge to lose rate?

You could burn wood or any flammable material, but the light weight of the actual engine, which admittedly is a clever design, will likely be offset by fuel stores and other related gear, such as a boiler, of which I've never seen a light weight version.

On the other hand, I do see applications for such a device, solar powered steam. Picture a parabolic mirror, with a celestial tracking motor affixed (like the systems used on telescopes). This mirror dish is used to focus sunlight onto a boiler, with it's contents used to drive the engine, possible in a double or triple expansion arrangement to increase efficiency. In a boat the device would have practical limitations, but as a power generating unit, land based, it has great potential. Hooked to a big generator, you could use a relatively small engine to eliminate your electric bill, possibly make more then you need, selling the remainder back to the power company. I personally use about 2,000 to 3,000 KW per month. This isn't that big an engine/generator combo, if you get say 6 hours per day at 16 KW total output (for the day).

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Heck Par, what are you running? several workshops and maintaining your house temperature at 25C in winter and 18C in summer? I am using 1200kw in 90 days! and missing nothing in convenience/comfort and EVERYTHING is electric......?

13. PAR

My load last month was around 1,900 KW, but it was reasonably moderate weather. I have two 5 ton A/C units and a 2.5 ton, almost 3,200 sq. ft. of living space under air and a barn that is also air conditioned. Tool loads and general household needs run around 2,200 to 2,500, but summer months can make the A/C units suck down some bigger clumps of electrons.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

You are still burning 4 to 6 times my usage?????? - time to rebuild something that is solar efficient (aligned to use sun angles & prevailing breezes), insulated, can catch cooling breezes and be sheltered from cold winter storms....

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Electric power consumption is measured in KWH, meaning kw hours. KW is an instantaneous measurement, like horsepower. Paul, at 2500 kwh/month you are averaging about 3.5 kw per hour (3.5 kw x 720 hours in a month = 2520 kwh per month). Not bad for the larger than average loads you described.

Brian, you're using less than half a kw per hour, does your wife let you have a dancing girl waving a fan to keep you cool? :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.