Mounting a kicker on an extended hull

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by speakinfrank, Jun 25, 2013.

1. speakinfrank

speakinfrank Junior Member

I just bought a 27' Boston Whaler FC. I'm trying to mount a kicker on the extended hull that already has twin 225 2 strokes on it. I'm curious if anyone has recommendations on bracket brands...suggestions for mounting,photos, etc.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

wow you don't trust either one of your motors to get you home ?? and now you want a 3rd motor ??
    Do you tow another car behind when you go on holiday just in case the first one breaks down ?? :confused::?::idea:

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Don't get your panties in a wad, it's for fishing.

How big a kicker? Any photos?

I'm guessing this is it...

[​IMG]

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Is there room for one between the pod and the trim tab ? Would have to be on one of those outboard auxiliary brackets that can be lifted up when not in use. The only possible justification would be for saving fuel when used for trolling for long periods, the 225 will be thirsty at any speed. You just lock the "kicker" and steer with the "dead" engine(s).

5. speakinfrank

Here is a shot of the boat, as you can see the hull extension is flush with the outside of the hull, it's not an Armstrong brAcket, but its rather close to a "whaler drive". I can't troll with two strokes, they will get fouled. I trust both of them though.

Attached Files:

6. speakinfrank

Tunnel....go troll somewhere else

Attached Files:

7. Mr Efficiency

Use best quality 2-stroke oil, but you should not need to worry about fouling any modern CD ignition outboard anyhow. Forget the kicker if that is all you want it for.

8. speakinfrank

The engines are 1997's. they are oil injected. I guess my understanding is that these engines would bog down and need to be blown out.

9. Mr Efficiency

The last outboard I had trouble with oiling plugs slow trolling was a 1970's vintage Chrysler with magneto ignition, used quite a few different motors since then and fouling was never an issue. Should not be a problem. If a problem arises when going extra slow you may have the idle set a touch low.

10. speakinfrank

We are trolling for kings at 1-2 knots...not enough oil will be burned out of the fuel and everything will get fouled

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

So they 97s and if they are serviced regular and oil metering is checked and set 100% !!, tried a better brand of oil ? with the right plugs why wont they run long and slow all day long ??
    Tried using just one motor above idle and dragging the other in gear then switch over after a few hours ?? :confused:

My sons 200 Yamaha will troll all day long and never complains when its time to go home .
    My 115 Yamaha will do the same for hours on end ,trolling and not even a hint of a misfire come time to depart .both our motors are service and oil metering checked each time always by the same outboard shop by the same guys !,they really know there stuff and are fishermen as well so they understand !!. :D

12. Mr Efficiency

Are you just anticipating this is advance of actual usage ? I would not expect any such problem.

13. speakinfrank

Yes it is part anticipation and part past experience....I'm gauging wether or not to make the investment on a kicker and bracket..

14. Mr Efficiency

If you were using some old banger from the distant past, yes, anything from recent decades, no. Suck it and see. You are worrying unnecessarily imo, you have enough outboards hanging off the back of your boat !

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Just remember not all oils are the same ! some suit some motors and some don't suit others ! and never mix to different brands together !!, also do a total pour out ,flush out and thorough clean of both the oil reservoir tanks once a year because they get condensation inside from only being partly full , most are mounted where they hard to get to ,cant be seen ,and are usually forgotten about with rusting brackets that are falling apart , I made all new brackets from glass and used stainless securing bolts and washers and mounted were I can be seen all the time where its dry and in the light !!:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.