Most Sea Worthy Hull Design For Trailerable Boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I live along the upper Texas coast and fish 40 to 60 miles offshore . I desire to build or buy a trailerable boat (prefer to build) that is as sea worthy and smooth riding as possible . I fear the gulf but love to fish . The waves are often as CORPUS SKIPPER describes 4 to 6 feet short , steep and confused . Real kidney pounders in 22 and 26 ft boats that I normaly fish in . What hull design will work best for a 28ft - 30ft boat that can be trailered ?

Thanks !

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Catamaran. Final answer.

Tom Lathrop

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

When I read that question, I got the same feeling I get when my wife asks "Does this lipstick go....?"
    I look forward to the multitudes replying with radically differing hull-forms, andthe bible-thumpers thumping their bibles.
    We've had cats, by rights it should be the turn of the inverted "V" guys next... ;-)

Steve "there is no right answer"

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Since I seem to have lapsed into rampant cynicism above, maybe this will help:-
    Look at what everyone else is using, and go with the majority. Unsuitable boats don't last long in the hands of the same owner.

Steve again.

5. yipster

yipster designer

how deep a V boats you normaly fly and fish in? i know the bit bigger boats are much better going in short chop, but 26 ft isnt that smal eighter. think i know what you mean but cant explain these relations in theory or recall a site that explained... ah, wait, also as a stationairy fishing platform i second the cat.

yipster

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'll go with SailDesign on this one - "there is no right answer".
    Having fished offshore from both deep v (true 26 degrees) and catamarans, I'd go with the former. Cats are more stable at rest, but their bridgedecks pound terribly in even a small chop (when not on the plane) making the whole boat shudder. A good deep v will be the equal of a catamaran in most conditions when running fast too.
    On the other hand, if fuel and time aren't too great a consideration, I'd go with a semi-planing monohull.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Since you go 40 to 60 miles offshore that must put you near the canyons, correct? You don't bottom fish at those depths so a good deep V hull is best there. One caveat, if you anchor up to bottom fish you'll rock pretty wild. All in all I would go with a good deep V that had at least 21 degrees deadrise at the transom and 50 - 60 degree entry angle.

TheFisher

8. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I have fished a 22 footer with a 19 degree deadrise and super sharp entry, and she still pounded and after 7 years, beat the half tower to pieces. I've ridden in a 29 Blackfin which has an extremely deep vee and she still pounded at speed. Even a 39 Hatteras I chartered pounded in these same conditions with her deep vee and length and weight advantages. This is why I'm exploring the lobster type hulls, but I don't think you'll find one in a trailerable size. One boat, a friend's 26' Shamrock rides decent, but she's REALLY wet. Isinglass is a must. The only bad thing about the Shamrock is poor engine access. Good Luck!

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you want a dry boat, it will pound. A bow that cuts the waves produces spray. However, you haven't specified speed. That is the determining factor in hull design. I can suggest many seakindly boats at 10 mph.

10. badges65

badges65 Junior Member

Hi,
    you could try and IVB has a good combination of V/Cat,
    again depends on the speed you wish to travel from A to B!!
    Pounding is reduced, but as previously stated there is no perfect hull that will do all things, hopefully you get one that minimises most and gets you home every time..
    don

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the replies . Im a novice doing research . Have much to learn before trying to build a boat .
    The waters I fish in are shallow , 60 miles from shore is 60 - 80 ft. deep . As for as boat speed is conserned ; 20 knot cruiseing speed works just fine for me .
    Lobster style boats seems interesting . Don't think you will find very many along the Texas gulf coast . Most of the off shore sport fishermen have V hulls but don't think they are a true 26 degrees . Cat hulls are rare around here . Only seen one Pro Cat and looked like it was handling the chop just fine .

Thanks again !

12. oddball

oddball Junior Member

do you have a truck that will pull a 30 ft boat?, maybe some here can give you an idea of wieght

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A Lobsterboat or a Carolina Sportfisherman would work great at those speeds. The newer designs are too beamy and handle poorly. One of the more conservative beam/ length proportioned hulls will drive smoothly into the waves.

14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Will : That may be what I looking for . I have never heard anything about Dorado Boats before . There is something about the hull design that looks right to me . I can't describe it in words because I'm not a navel architect . A test drive and seat of the pants feel would let me know if this is the goldie locks of boats (just right) .
    Anyone else have any opinion or input about Dorado Boats ?

Oddball : Towing a 30ft boat would not be to much of a problem because I have access to my familys F-350 Ford turbo diesel crew cab, duel rear wheel 4x4. Four wheel drive Lo - range comes in handy pulling up steep boat ramps . I'm also only a 45 min. drive to the boat ramp and 4 or 5 miles by boat to the open Gulf of Mexico .

Will : What do you think about an aluminum version of a Dorado boat ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.