More Power

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by CESSPOOL, Sep 20, 2007.

1. CESSPOOL

CESSPOOL New Member

I have a 75 Glastron with a Mercruiser inline 6. Now it isn't a powerboat, but I want more power and what better section! Besides, I kinda consider it a Muscle boat.

The boat is a tri-hull and the engine has a good deal of power, infact it is pretty much a rocket from stand still. But with a boat load, it can be hard to get a tube/ski up and going.

With just my family though it plains almost instantly and will run over 50 MPH.

It is just a stock 250 with a 2bbl carb. What are my options if any?

I did find a cam for it from fireball and I was thinking of a 450 4bbl carb. But I would also like to run the exhaust thru the hull if possible for sound as well, but have no idea what would be involved in that.

2. sara01

sara01 New Member

more power, always better :)

3. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

It all depends on how much sail do you have? ;)

kidding aside - it sounds like a power boat to me.
    I don't know any details about your current cam or planned cam - but often times a bigger cam means more hp at higher rpms while losing torque (and hp) at the bottom end. This would make it harder to get that tube/skier going. Same goes for the 4bbl carb, though it may not cost you @ lower rpms, its power benefit wouldn't come on until later - again, no gain out of the hole.

I've heard 6-cylinder boats with thru-transom exhaust before - it sounds buzzy - kind of like an old grand-am - not the same as v-8.
    Most small block v-8s don't gain anything noticeable from the exhaust switch - I doubt an I-6 will either.

Converting to a small block would certainly help if you're stuck on this boat and willing to dump a bunch of money into it. It's expensive; but effective.

Maybe you can try a different prop to help out of the hole - 4-blade?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.