Merc 140 Gimble housing

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by BigD, Jul 4, 2005.

1. BigD

BigD Junior Member

A friend of mine has a merc 140. When he went to replace the gimble bearing he found that the carrier area that holds the bearing was corroded and had chips out behind the bearing. Is there a press in sleeve here or does the entire housing have to be replaced?

BigD

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

This is a common problem. Merc says the housing needs to be replaced by a dealer. But if it's not TOO bad, look up something called "GHR kits" (can't remember who makes them, it's a little independent shop i think) that do the exact same repair with a polymer bellows and a special epoxy, much cheaper.

3. BigD

BigD Junior Member

Not sure what "too bad" is. Can .jpg's be sent on this forum? I just went over to my friends place to take a look at the gimbal. Looks like their are two lips, one in front of the bearing and one behind. They both have chunks missing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.