Marine Transmissions

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by ColinZ, May 31, 2004.

1. ColinZ

ColinZ New Member

I need some help. I'm in Australia and we don't have the goodies that you guys in the USA have when it comes to add-ons for our boats.

I have a ski boat, fitted with a marinised Chevy 350 Vortec (what an engine by the way !) and it's fitted with a soft clutch. The soft clutch is a heavy duty auto clutch system with an "over the centre" spring system to keep the clutch lever in either the engaged or disengaged position. They are quite popular out here for skiers as the driver can ride the clutch to assist a new skier in geting up etc.

Do you guys in the states have something like this, as we are looking for a reversing gearbox to attach to the rear of the clutch housing. I've found the usual Mercruiser and ZF transmissions but nothing that would adapt to what we have.

Any help would be great.

Also. I've read quite a few of the topics on this site...... sounds like some of you guys know your stuff.

Thanks again,

Colin

2. Misogynist

Misogynist Junior Member

What kind of outdrive? shaft? I/O...? How much money do you want to spend... and the reversing trans... just for backing up?

3. ColinZ

ColinZ New Member

Marine Gearbox

Thanks for your reply.

Our ski boat is a centre mount with the prop shaft attached directly to the rear of the clutch assembly, exiting the boat through the floor at 15 degrees.

The reverse is purely for assisting us with getting the boat on and off the trailer and for braking purposes when we come beside a skier in the water. Anyone who has driven an outboat and then migrated across to an inbord will certainly miss the reverse option.

Again, many thanks.

4. Misogynist

Misogynist Junior Member

Well... you have only a few choices... you can go to a trans like a Borg Warner Velvet Touch... or spend the big bucks and go to a custom made trans like some of the race boats... you can check with www.weismann.net ... they make transmissions for offshore boats.. but I think they may be more money than you would want to spend.. good luck.

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

A velvet drive can be had for a reasonable price, especially a rebuilt unit (about $1500 U.S., Aussie $???) You'd have to ditch the clutch though. Sounds like you'd have to shorten your shaft also. Have you enough room between the stuffing box and engine?

6. ColinZ

ColinZ New Member

Thanks guys - your info has been interesting.

Can anyone tell me what different types of inboard engine/transmission options are available in the USA. Combinations using V8's and ZF or Velvet drive transmissions are available out here, but do you have items like Dog Clutches or something similar to my soft clutch arrangement?

Very keen to hear what's available out your way.

7. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

For inboards, pretty much the same stuff here. Also have Hurth transmissions, and Paragon, but I don't believe any of these are dog type, and I've never seen the clutch you're talking about here in the US. Most ski boats have ZF, Hurth, or Velvet Drive. The vast majority of pleasure boats are outboard or stern drive I/O.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.