Marine Radio

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Titanic, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Titanic

Titanic Junior Member

Recently I have been told that any boat over 16 foot, operating on the Great Lakes or other federal waterways are required to have a marine radio.
    I realize this is a good idea, but with my cell phone being able to get out on Lake Superior wherever I have been, I don't feel it is nec.. I have researched with coast guard web sites, and state D.N.R sites and I find nothing requiring
    a radio. Anybody know for sure?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You're an American.... don't take my word as law but I think your regs are similar to ours.
    On the Canadian side, most private recreational vessels are not required to be fitted with VHF. In general, commercial vessels always carry VHF.
    A good handheld VHF is not expensive. It has many advantages over cellphones, among them:
    - You receive 'securite' warnings about hazards to navigation, etc
    - You can receive continuous local weather broadcasts on most units
    - In the event of a 'Mayday' call, not only can the Coast Guard try to triangulate the location of your VHF signal if they have to, but other nearby boats will hear it too and come to help

An emergency cellphone call from a boater might go first to the nearest 911 station, then to the nearest police force, then they might send their boat or phone the Coast Guard, who would then dispatch a rescue boat. A 'Mayday' on VHF goes out instantly to all boats and shore stations in range, including the Coast Guard's own dispatch station and rescue boat. Their rescue boat can also call you on VHF, not the case with cellphones.

3. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I agree with Marshmat, its ALWAYS a good idea to have a portable radio. Its cheap insurance. I have one in my sailing bag, so even if I go on someone elses boat, I know there is a radio onboard. Hit up eBay, or craigslist. IMO, there is no reason to NOT have one on a boat over 16'.
    -Fig

4. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

I have one on my 18footer for all of the above reasons and as well I followed a call to channel 69 and got an excellent raspberry crumble recipe :))

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

cell towers are unreliable ,I too will sail on the great lakes,I will have 2 vhf radios one primary and one backup, the lakes as you may know are fresh water and shallow ,therfor pron to very large waves with the Alberta clipper and blue northerns ,,cold dence air and dence fresh water are very dangerous,,even a good summerbreeze can be a problem ,a small investment for you and your familys safety,,,,dont forget last years episode of the guy who purchased a 50 ft yatch,and relied on his cellphone,,,,he and his family were lost at sea for 2 weeks,in the atlantic, ,,also an eperb wont hurt,,,,,,good luck............ longliner

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Its one of those good to have things but not required. On vessels carrying passengers for hire it is.

7. Titanic

Titanic Junior Member

Thank you Ike,
    I was totally aware of the benefit of having a Marine radio over just a cell phone. I just wanted to know whether I was subject to a violation if I happened to be stopped without one.

8. YankeeBoater

YankeeBoater Junior Member

Not required, but as you noted, a good idea on any bigger bodies of water. Modern VHF radios are also equipped with a DSC interface to allow them to be hooked into a GPS. With that, all you do is press a "panic button" on the radio, and the equivalent of a mayday is instantly sent out, together with the boat's coordinates.

That may sound like overkill, but in an emergency (strike underwater object, swamped by wave, etc) there may be very little time. In salt water, anyway, even inshore people normal have at least that - offshore guys get EPIRBs, rafts, and SSB radio.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.