Manipulating a boat wake...

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Brandon, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Brandon

Brandon Junior Member

A few years ago I was perusing the "Big Issue" that surfer put out...somewhere inside I recall an image where Tom Morey (something of an explorer in the world of hydrodynamics) had affixed a wing of sorts to a track that was immersed in a long water tank. He then used a ford truck to motivate the wing through the water thereby creating a wave of sorts with actual forward trajectory. I have often envisioned something like this to enhance the 'breaking' shape of a wake as produced by a boat that is produced for 'wake-surfing'. I realize the nature of this discussion may be seen as too 'low brow' for some of the forum attendees but I would imagine that those particularly interested in wave dynamics would be able to offer some well informed opinions on the matter. If I come across a picture I will post it for reference, so far I have come up empty handed in my search.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

A wave is nothing more than the physical manifestation of a pressure distrubance in a fluid at the boundary between two fluids of different densities(air/water or water/water). And there are many ways to make them.

The important thing to remember is that the amount of energy required to make a wave is proportional to its celerity (speed of advance; which is a function of period and water depth) AND the height squared. As a boat makes a wave by moving through the water at the speed of the wave, there is a very steep energy price to pay for making a taller as opposed to longer (i.e. faster wave). I.e. to make a 15 knot wave 1 foot high in 100 feet deep water requires 1025 ft-lbs of energy per foot of wave frontage which means that ~95 hp are required. To make a 20 knt 1 foot wave requires ~227 hp. To make a 2 foot 15knt wave requires ~381 hp.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.