Mako vs. Boston Whaler

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by lemccoy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. lemccoy

lemccoy New Member

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing one of two boats. I was wondering if anyone would care to throw their vote:

http://www.the-real.com/pics/categories.php?cat_id=25

Both are located in the Bahamas, duty paid. They will be used mainly for short day trips and the occasional long weekend/week. Both should have ample range for the Bahamas. My question is whether or not the engines will give major problems since they are older? (1992 and ~1995) I think.

Thanks for your input!

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

As I just said on another thread, if it was made by Mako before 1998 when Tracker bought them it's probably good. Definitely have a survey done. As for the engine? The only way to tell is have a tech go over it and check it out.

3. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

The only thing I don't like about a Mako is the transom and the cut out for the motor. In my opinion it should be closed in and a jack plate installed. But just remember opinions are like A_s holes , everybody has one and they all smell

4. lemccoy

lemccoy New Member

wow - that was the longest wait for a response ever! I bought a mako. love it. every boat has design issues - if I had the time and money I would build my own (I have a degree in this $hit, for what it's worth, cause I never use it). Thanks though!
    ps...I don't even remember the original post...

[​IMG]

5. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

IMO Any older Mako will beat the ride on an older Whaler.
    My cousin owns a 60's Mako 19 and it rides way better than my dad's 88' Whaler 25

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.