Loss of power on a Volvo Penta

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Lounger, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Lounger

Lounger New Member

Hi, im new at this, but would appreciate a little advice. My 98 Fourwinns bowrider has a 3L Volvo Penta. After driving for about 30min. when i accelerate the motor seems to lose power, when i pull back on the throttle it will pick up the power again, but only briefly then it will continue to do this. Any advice on this problem and how it can be remedied.

2. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

That is typical symptoms of a clogged fuel filter

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, clogged fuel system or a bad pump that can't deliver enough fuel

4. Gord Fuller

Gord Fuller New Member

gordlikesfishing

we had the same problem , it was watwer in the gas, the filter was full of it. We also have the volvo 100 leg with a spun prop acted the same way. good luck

5. blared

blared ALFA

I had that problem on my 9.9 evinrude .. changing the gas made a little difference but still had the same problem ... ten I put the motor on my zodiac and after a few hours of cruising ..the problem was gone ... probably fuel filter or the carburator got clogged but it cleaned itshelf.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.