loss of power

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gnr6209, Jul 28, 2005.

1. gnr6209

gnr6209 New Member

I hope someone her can help me I have run out of ideas. I have a omc 235 outdrive electric shift 351w inboard 1977. When the boat reaches operating temperature the boat loses power then shuts down even at idle. If you let it sit awhile it cranks right up and runs smooth untill you reach operating temp then cuts off.. I have had the gas pumped out and clean. big water fuel seperator no water,replaced spark plugs,wires,and coil,fuel pump. Also checked compression and checked to see if manifolds leaking all check out okay. Any suggestions would be appreciated before I take a sledge hammer to it.

2. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

What type of ignition does it have?

3. gnr6209

gnr6209 New Member

solid state ignition

4. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

on older ford vehicles they had a solid state ignition module that when defective would heat up and the engine would stop. My friends late 70's station wagon did this. He changed the module and it was fine. I would check the module. I changed my distributor to an optical pickup mallory to avoid the whole mess.

5. yipster

yipster designer

do check things like half lose terninals before going for the sledge hammer!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.