looking for plans

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by 243hunter, Nov 14, 2013.

1. 243hunter

243hunter New Member

hi all
    first i must say you have a grate site here but i am in a bit of a spot, i am looking to build a small motor boat for my self but the few i have seen are all for out boards i have some things in mind as in 4.8m long 1.8 beam inboard, i have a small honda 5hp 4stroke that i will use but i would like to be capable of being beached i was thinking of a stepped transom to protect rudder and prop but have been advised it would be better to run skegs. if you have any ideas of any plans that may suit what i want i would be most happy,i have had a go at using some of the boat programs but they are beyond me i still draw every thing i build on paper lol..

any way thanks in advance
    Dave..

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

1.8 metre beam sounds like a lot for a 5hp engine, the poor thing won't be able to catch it's breath. I assume this is an air-cooled engine, which creates a few problems in a boat, as well.

3. 243hunter

243hunter New Member

not a problem i have uped the hp ;) and it has been modded for water cooling on the motor this is just for cruising dams as here in au if the boat is under 5 hp no rego or licence required

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of speed are you interested in and what is the new HP figure?

5. 243hunter

243hunter New Member

new specks have it at 13hp

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A 15' 9" x 5' 11" skiff is a pretty fat thing to ask much of on 13 HP. The only way you'll get any speed is with a very light build and a flat bottom "clamming skiff" style hull form. There are dozens of these these designs to choose from.

Considering your low power requirement, you might want to look at the Bolger Diablo which is 15' by 5' and doesn't need a lot of power to get some speed from her. It's a simple build too, with 7 or 8 sheets of plywood and a couple of gallons of goo (epoxy) and related fillers/tape, etc.

The Rescue Minor from Atkins also is an option, also needing very little power, though some modification may be necessary for simplifying the build, which is an inboard and longer then your desires. A 15' Rescue Minor could be done, but again, you'll want some professional help in this regard.

Neither of these are clamming skiff types, but I just thought to mention them, so you had some style choices.

7. 243hunter

243hunter New Member

could the lumber yard skiff be made to have an inboard?
    starting to thik i may need to build a mud motor and run an outboard:confused:

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

There's this from Svenson's. It's a little smaller than you say, only 11'6" x 4'3", but it looks real simple to build. There's also the Rocket, but it's bigger, needs a larger engine and is a more complicated old time type build.

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Utility/TaxiBoat

[​IMG]

9. amorphisU

amorphisU New Member

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

243hunter has asked for an inboard-engine boat, suitable for a 13 HP engine. Exactly the opposite to what your link is about.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.