looking for my 1st small powerboat...pls help

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by kate_s, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kate_s

kate_s New Member

i'm looking for a 27-35 footer diesel. something between 2002-2007. don't know much about boats, but would like something decent that wouldn't give too many problems
    does anyone have any advice what brands should i look for?

how do I know if it's an IO or inboard? what should I look out for?

thanx!!!

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Kate,

Firstly, welcome aboard boatdesign.net :)

My first question to you is this: What boats have you already owned, sailed, or otherwise had experience with?

My second question: What would you like to do with your new boat? (Where to cruise, for how long, with how many people, etc?)

The reason I ask is that, when I go down to the marina in front of City Hall, I see a large number of boats that were bought because they look nice, or because they have a lot of interior space, or because the owner felt that a pair of 450-hp diesels would be a good way to show off his stock market winnings. Most of them only leave their slips once a month. The reason? They just aren't suited for the kind of cruising their owners want to do, so they are rarely used and frequently re-sold.

Clarifying what you hope to do with your new boat will go a long way towards getting sound, reliable advice on what to look for. If you're hoping to look rich while lounging around the yacht club, we'll recommend some very different boats than we would if you're hoping to cross the Channel to France a few times.

So let's hear a bit more about your requirements, and then the membership will chime in with a combined 4 million or so years of experience ;)

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Plus --having a boat in Uk is getting less popular by the minute.

Many owners keep boats abroad even as far out as I am meaning that they will get cheap mooring fees , guranteed good weather, cheap fuel, cheap repairs and labour, cheap monthly maintenance. Cheap every thing.

AND--AND the most beautiful cruising grounds immaginable, anchor where you want without a flashing light in your face after ten minutes.

Deserted beaches and star lit nights.

Or you could keep it at Southampton, or the freezing cold muddy waters of poole.

2009 summer will be July 8th at 2 pm.

4. kate_s

kate_s New Member

my plan is to keep the bot in the Med, south of France in a small marina and use it there 203 months in the summer
    nothing flashy, 1-2 cabins - just enough for 2 people and fuel efficiency would be my main concern

never owned a boat in my life - i did a bit of sailing though, but my husband prefers a powerboat so that's why we're going for that.

what should I look for?

thanks for your reply, guys!

5. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

When you say, "Keep it in a marina and use it there," do you mean base out of there and go on short, medium or long cruises? Do you mean to stay at the marina and rarely go outside the breakwater? Do you mean to keep going in snotty weather? Hug the coast or go straight out to sea?

All these things have a measurable impact on what boat is the best compromise for you. And don't get too fixated on how old a boat is. Some new boats are quite frankly crap, and some older ones are so well-loved that they almost never appear on the market, and when they do it's for prices that would make Solomon blush.

Don't overlook wood, though aluminum and steel and, yes, GRP are available options. The thing about wood is it's not too demanding if you need a minor repair. Major repairs take a lot, though. Aluminium and steel are tougher but each has its drawbacks as well. GRP can be tougher but there's a lot of plastic *GARBAGE* floating around out there.

Please don't buy a Bayliner. I impolore you, young lady, just don't buy a Bayliner.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The thing about wood is it's not too demanding if you need a minor repair.

I would have to disagree on wood for a boat that will see little use.

ANY LEAK , however tiny in the deck or cabin , will result in ROT , which iakes time and skill to fix.

For a liveaboard ,wood is fine , its ez to slop some sealer , or refinish as soon as the drip is noticed , but for a cottage afloat that wont see much use,no way!

FF

7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This thread is actually a little bit frightening. Never owned a boat but want buy one, dont know what inboard our outboard is and have decided on a power boat.

Pretty frightening stuff. I don't know where to start really.

You know how dodgy it would be to go and buy a car when you had never owned one before ? well multiply that by 100.

9. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Kelly,

There are litterly thousands of options out there. While the users on the board are pretty knowelagable we really need to understand exacally what you are planning on doing with the boat to be able to make sugestions. My advise is think about what you plan to do with the boat. Is it just going to be a second home permanently docked as a place to stay? Do you want to be able to anchor off in reasonable comfort for days/weeks/months at a time? Basically describe what you envision as a normal trip to the boat, then describe that here. Include where, what time of the year, how many people, how many beds are needed, peoples ages, budgetary concerns both initially and for maintenance, then we may be able to help more.

10. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Err, quite agree Capt. G.

However, I was not the one asking the questions! Perhaps my link was confusing?

Kelly

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Budget and cruising grounds is not my concern. Anchoring , coming alongside without wiping out some one elses hand rails, cooking gas , bilge pumps, engine maintenance, radio usage ,navigation, weather knowledge, battery care, battery use , life jackets. etc etc etc.

It is my advice that you will need hands on professional advice when choosing , buying and a good few days after,--at the very least, or we have an accident waiting to happen here.

I see this all the time, beginers coming into the marina with no fenders, no permission , no ropes prepaired, crew lying in deck chairs trying to look cool then ram into a boat that is someone pride and joy.

If you damage someone elses boat, the boat will be taken out of the water for repairs this costs thousands of dollars for minimal damage.

These are the things you should be aware of, the real things.

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Frosty,

When I look back at post #4, I get the impression we're dealing with someone who has done some sailing, is new to powerboats, and would be a first-time owner.

Obviously, a course in powerboat basics, handling and safety would be in the cards, along with some time at the helm of any boat under consideration under the supervision of an experienced operator. I think this is just part of responsible boat operation. Example: Technically, I'm licensed for pleasure craft under 20 tonnes in Canadian waters. But my experience is all at the smaller end of that range, and I wouldn't even think of taking a 35' cruiser out without first going over all its controls, systems and operating procedures very thoroughly with someone who knows that boat. And I'd want that person aboard to supervise for the first trip.

The points Frosty has raised are valid. Some good old fashioned book learnin' will get you up to speed on a lot of that; for other things, the only way is experience and a bit of guidance from someone who's been there, screwed that up.

So there's a lot to consider. It can't be a rush decision. But a clear idea of the experience level you have, and the intended use of the boat, will go a long way towards getting you on the right path.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.