Looking at Montery 268 SC Super sport

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Kentut, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Kentut

Kentut New Member

I am wondering if any one knows about Monterey’s 268 SC super sport. I have been a Ski boat guy my whole life, how ever my wife is pregnant and wants a cuddy. I am looking to be in a 24ft to 26ft boat with extended platform. I am concerned the most with water sports, smooth ride in Lake Powell’s rough water and the boat being well built! Is this the boat for me??

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As runabouts and cuddies go, Monterey does have a reputation for decent quality. But don't take anyone's word for it- stick your head in hatches and under seats, see how solid the hull-deck joint is from the inside, look over the wiring runs and terminals, study the fillets of putty where everything joins together. Do this on a few boats and you'll quickly see where builders skimp out. Everything you can see is always pretty, it's what's hidden that matters.
    Anything over 22 feet will probably make too big a wake for many skiers, but this boat is probably skiable and definitely wakeboardable.
    The hullforms that give smooth ride and the ones that give good ski/board wakes are pretty much opposites. For smooth ride you want a sharp V hull to cut the waves; watersports boats have relatively flat bottoms so they ride higher and make nicer wakes. At 21 degrees, the V of the 268 SC is biased towards rough water running.

3. Kentut

Kentut New Member

Hey

Thanks ,matt. Do you have any suggestions for me on boats? My wife is pregnent and I am having to leave the good old ski boat class!
    Thanks for you time!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.