Jet ski powered hydroplane

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by rgardn12, May 4, 2009.

1. rgardn12

rgardn12 Junior Member

so if I were to first build something small, such as the Tiny Titan... just as a way to understand tradition plank building my second project, which would be the Glen-l TNT, would be far easier even though its another 3 feet long?

Is this what you would suggest me doing? starting off small and moving up or just go straight to the TNT?

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

As a 1st time builder both methods will take the same time as you want to go slow and make it right. Check the Glen-L site for boatbuilding woods (softwoods) Dense southern yellow pine is prevelent in your area. Don't know your age or grade in school but high schools with wood shops have good wood at CHEAP prices. Give me some data and I'll recommend a course of action. Make the owner start up that engine and if he won't offer him $25.00 for the whole mess. Best, Stan Build what you want NOW... no practise run>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A couple of extra feet is of no concern.

3. rgardn12

rgardn12 Junior Member

well bad news is that the jet ski has already been purchased... was told it ran and from the spark plugs it did, but it did so on straight pump gas in a 2 stroke motor.. so now its more about how messed up the internals got to know if it will run again with no work.

I am a junior in college and University of North Carolina at Charlotte... and even in high school wood shop was non-existent due to idiots trying to kill each other with chisels and screw drivers.

Something else I am having a hard time understanding... as I look through the Glen-L designs bill of materials lists I have a hard time understanding exactly how much wood I will need in order to complete the project when it comes down to the small/odd measurements given for each part. what is the best way to understand and est. costs of materials just from a materials list?

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

All the materials list are fairly accurate as these boats have been built before some many, many times. Once you decide on a plan I will fully review the list and tell you how to combine and buy by the board foot rather than lineal foot. it is cheaper that way. Best, Stan You will need a quility Jig saw and a table saw would be helpful but you can do it all with a jig. I highly recommend bosch and you can save on reconditioned or returned product.
    http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/jig_saws/corded_jig_saws/1591evsk.html

5. rgardn12

rgardn12 Junior Member

how much more expensive is it to build a fiberglass boat versus a wood boat?

I have come across some plans on another site that calls for a fiberglass hull but I have no clue how much that would cost in comparison to wood for a 10' V-hull boat

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I'm a wood boat builder. Wood lasts Generations. Cannot help you with FG.

7. rgardn12

rgardn12 Junior Member

this is very true, I have also heard that fiberglass tends to cost and weigh in more than wood as well.

I have come across some plans that I really like the design of... published in an old Popular Mechanics Magazine called the Maximus. However there seems to be some information missing... I don't know if these pages have enough information for me to attempt to build the boat. I was hoping to make sure there is enough provided.

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RunaboutsOutboard/maximus

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Glen-L offers full size plans--no lofting-- just trace them out on the wood--can't make it any easier any other way. Ever heard of KISS???
    Keep it simple s---id. Don't go over your head as a 1st time builder. I want you to build and enjoy the experience. Then, maybe you will get hooked and build many more and teach more people (your children to come.) That is my goal in assisting others. I sure do not want you to get frustated and cut up a failed dream into fire wood. Stan

9. rgardn12

rgardn12 Junior Member

apologies.

10. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Young man, you need to educate yourself first. I cannot help you long distance nor have the time to give you final details before you make a decision. Go back and review my posts and look up lumber as I suggested and learn and then ask detailed questions. You need to make a decision.
    Best, Stan PS I'm off to bed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.