Info on a 1972 Grady White Chesapeake 212

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by dearl, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dearl

dearl New Member

Hi, love the site. I am looking to purchase a 21' Grady White Chesapeake Cuddy cabin that has sat under the same oak tree i know for 10 years. I have read many times that Gradys have one of the best hulls made. I can only guess that from the looks of this boat, that it will need some major transom work, maybe some stringers. Is this something that a do-it yourselfer is capable of. I am a welder/mechanic by trade, haven't worked with fiberglass much. I do lots of carpentry, I'm sure that will come in handy. I don't know what it is but i can't seem to get the thought of that boat going to waste, out of my head. I can get the boat, motor and trailer for 500 bucks, i waste more than that on junk a year! Something about the old boat i can't shake.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It's a classic. The materials for a transom and stringer repair, if you replace them with the original materials, is about $400.00. Is the engine is decent shape? Older engines are not worth putting in much more than a tune-up and impeller.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.