IMP versus Larson

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Logan1500, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Logan1500

Logan1500 Junior Member

I am getting ready to purchase my first boat. It is going to be a used boat.

I am looking at two boats very seriously and will make a decision within the next few days when we get to take them on the water.

I would like information, good or bad, on two boats I am considering.

I am looking at an older IMP 20ft closed bow with a V8 engine and an OMC outdrive. This boat is is great shape interior wise and above average shape overall. It is a 1972 model.

I am also looking at a 1985 Larson 17 1/2 ft open bow. It has a 4 cylinder engine with a Mercruiser outdrive. The boat is in good shape but the interior is dirty, floor is solid except under the back seats beside the engine. It has lots of extras that come with it too.

The price for both boats is the same, so I am looking for some info on how they are built and so on.

Although NADA prices the Larson higher in value, I don't put a lot of stock in those values because you never know how people really care for their stuff.

If anyone could give me some advice on how each compares to the other I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks
    John

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those old OMC drives are problematic. Parts are difficult to get too. I think the newer boat with a Mercruiser is a better deal.

3. Logan1500

Logan1500 Junior Member

Thanks

Gonzo:
    Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

John

4. Imp vs Larson

It's an old thread and you may have already decided by now but I recommend you go with the Imp. It's a much better built boat all around even if the OMC may have issues as Gonzo stated. I use to sell Imp's in the 70's and Imp boats were bullet proof and solid as a rock.
    Good luck!

5. IsleStGeorgeJoh

IsleStGeorgeJoh New Member

Larson vs IMP

Hope you chose the IMP, I have had a 20 and a 23, both very good boats.

6. IsleStGeorgeJoh

IsleStGeorgeJoh New Member

IMP Great Boat

I have had a 1970 IMP 23 soft top and my son has had a 23' IMP hard top 1972, both great boats, what do you know about them? I know I should be looking to get a newer boat, but I would like to get the same boat, just several years newer.I know they were making the same lapstrake hull up until about five years ago, are they still in business?
    Thanks,
    John

7. whitejohn1999

whitejohn1999 Junior Member

Imp Boat

Hi, I Seen Your Message You Said U Used To Sell Imp Boats, Wondering If You Could Tell Me Where I Might Look For The Plate That Has The Id. Numbers On It.or Any Hidden Numbers , I Wonna Buy An 1978 Cabin Cruser 24 Ft, But Cant Find The Numbers To Make Sure They Are Same As Is On The Title , And Were They Only 10 Numbers Or Was There 12 Numbers. Please Reply. Thanks Whitejohn1999

8. jonnybronco

jonnybronco New Member

What kind of boat do I have?

The title lists the boat as 1978 (Make) ROADR but no model listed. It's 23 feet long. I was told by the previous owner that it was an 1978 IMP Cabin Cruiser. We're interested in selling the boat but don't see "Cabin Cruiser" listed under the IMP models. We want to advertise it correctly. Is there a website with pictures and details that would help me figure it out?
    :confused:

9. pdave1s

pdave1s http://impboatclub.com

Post a pic here, and maybe someone here can help
    Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.