IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. JKE

JKE Junior Member

Hello.
    I am brand new member to this forum, first time message poster. Am purchasing a 1981 IMP Comanche 21-foot Cuddy/Runabout. It has a 302 V-8 I/O with OMC Outdrive.
    Has VERY low hours on engine. Interior and hull are in exceptionally good shape for '81 boat. I know (sadly) very little about IMP boats (this is my first). I know they were made by Iola Molded Plastics. Have heard very good things from others (more experienced) about all IMP boats being well-built and long-lasting. Am looking for ANY information about IMP boats of this size class and approximate era. Can't find much on web about IMP. Any help is much appreciated. Any personal insights or advice are also appreciated. Thank you.

Have an excellent day.

Jake

2. IsleStGeorgeJoh

IsleStGeorgeJoh New Member

IMP Boats

Saw Your message on your IMP. I have a 1970 IMP 23' Softtop with a 170HP I/O. I don't know much about the company, but I have seen them at boat shows in the past. It appears that they have been in and out of the business over the past several years. The hull design I have is lapstrake with a sliding hatch in the front. All I can say is that the boat is very good in rough water. I have had it in a gale on lake Erie, 10-12 foot waves and it got me back. I can't say enough about its handling capability, I have not been in a better rough water boat. It is heavy and has a deep V with a TRS outdrive so it is not a go fast boat, but it does move along at a reasonable speed.

3. JKE

JKE Junior Member

IMP Boat

Thanks for taking the time to write about your IMP boat.
    I have also been fortunate enough to be put in contact with a Sports / Boating magazine writer who has catalogs dating back to the 60's on IMP boats. He may have the actual sales catalog on my 1981 boat. We'll see how that works out and I'll let you know if it does. Thanks for your input. Yours being 11 years older and two foot longer can make a difference. But, so far, everyone that I have spoken to that DOES happen to know anything about IMP boats has said although they are "heavy", they are built practically "bullet proof" and long-lasting. Here's what little I've been told. The original company was called Red Fish Boats in Kansas. In 1963 they were bought and renamed by the Iola Molded Plastics (IMP) and apparently were around by that name until some time in the past 5 or 6 years when they were bought out by a Florida-based company called International Marine Products. That company did not last for too long before going out of business. This is the history according to others that know much more than and have been around longer than me. If either of us learns more, we should be sure to share the knowledge.
    Thanks again.

JKE

4. JERRYH

JERRYH New Member

Jerry

I Am Lloking For A Hull Diagram For My 1976 Imp Boat. How Would One Find This. I Want To Understand What I Cant See. And Need To Do Some Seat Work And Want To Know Where To Drill Etc. Also Have Water In Floor Storage Area And What To Understand Where It Comes From Etc.........any Hull Diagrams Available Online? Or Owners Manuals Etc?

Thanks

Jvh

5. ibt2

ibt2 New Member

The IMP Club

I just purchased an older 23' IMP Aztec with hardtop. It does need some remodeling. Did anyone ever come across any information on the IMP's? A brochure of the old girl (1970) would be a great start if anyone knows of any.

6. JKE

JKE Junior Member

Hi.
    No one ever came up with any IMP information (other than much newer IMP's that are still on the market). By the same token, the boat I actually purchased was not a1981 21-Foot cuddy, but was in fact a 1981 19-foot Cuddy I/O Comanche. It has a 200HP OMC engine. I am in the process of having ALL of the upholstery & carpet replaced, cleaning every square inch of the decks and hull, restoring the exterior finish, replacing some small oxidized hardware, bilge hoses, battery boxes, installing CD player & speakers, depth/fish finder, etc., etc., etc. You know how it goes when you buy a "pre-owned" anything....especially a boat. As for the information, there was one guy that contacted me that said he had files on all original sales brochures on IMP boats, but after saying he would send me copies of them, he never followed through. So, I'm left still searching the classifieds and internet for any and all materials pertaining to IMP boats from that era. If all goes according to plans, should have the boat ship-shape and launched in about two more weeks. I send you good wishes for your remodeling job on the Aztec. If I come across any info on that one, I will pass it along.
    Tight lines to you.

Jake

7. ibt2

ibt2 New Member

Thanks for the info. I spoke to the folks at the Iola, KS city manager's office and got the name and number of a guy who use to work for IMP before they went out of business. The number went to Challenger Offshore Boats in Missouri. When I called, the receptionist told me that the individual I was looking for had not worked there in 2 years and she had never heard of IMP boats before. So, the search continues.

8. IsleStGeorgeJoh

IsleStGeorgeJoh New Member

IMP Boats

Saw your message, I have had a couple of IMP boats over the years. I currently have a 23' softtop 1970 with a Mercruiser 270HP. It is the lapstrake hull with the flair to the bow and the slide fromt hatch. What a great rough water boat. I had a 21' as well and my son had a 23' Hardtop. I prefer the Mercruiser with the TRS outdrive, but that is because I have had no experience with the others.
    I have done a lot to restore the boat since I first bought it about 15 years ago. The major issue to get used to is the four gas tanks with one guage. I also have a 24' Thompson, 1989. A lot more boat, but not nearly as good a ride. One other thing, the IMP is a lot heavier boat for its size, so don't expect 40 miles an hour. I prefer safety, had the 23 IMP in a gale on Lake Erie, 10 to 12 foot waves and I am still here to tell the tale.
    Good luck with the research. I saw the boat several years ago at the Cleveland boat show. They were still making the same hull design. I would like to find one about 1995, perhaps that was the last year they wwere made?

9. NadaBoring

NadaBoring Two Time IMP Owner

Imp Owner

I owned my first IMP in 1974. A 1968 IMP Aztec, 21' with very small forward cuddy cabin. The best boat I've ever owned. I'm currently restoring a 1984 IMP Aztec that is just about lake ready. Many changes between my '68 and this one. For instance, I had two rear gas tanks (18 gal each) and a 15 gal tank installed in the cuddy cabin. My current boat has a large gas tank amidships (40 gal approx.) IMP boats are some of the most stable you will find cutting the water. I'm not familiar with the Commanche but imagine it has a sink arrangement on the port side behind the passenger's seat, right? Anyway, good IMP boats are becoming hard to find and while the prices on them are fairly low right now it's usually because the boat has been abused or neglected. They were considered to be Cadillacs of the lake when new and the prices were high for their era. Can't wait to get my current IMP in the water - we're down to having carpet installed and some electrical connections prepared, then we're gone. Best of luck with your IMP.

John Boring

10. jstcrzyengh

jstcrzyengh Junior Member

I currently own a 77 IMP Aztec Cuddy Cabin. It has the typical saddle bag fuel tanks, however I am removing those and rebuilding the engine box to give more walking space.

I have also heard them called the "Cadillas" of their day. Now I am going to build a mini parker out of it. Customize it a bit. If you have questions Tom at Warner Boats in Costa Mesa California seems to be an authority on these boats.

11. subjim96

subjim96 New Member

Please Help

Hello,
    I recently bought a 1980 IMP hardtop Cuddy Cabin. 350 Chevy engine block with 260 hp, Merc Cruise outdrive. I owned it about 15 years ago and sold it to a man who let it go. I recently bought it back and am now currently restoring it. I am in need of some parts and information on how to get those parts. Seats, electronics, and wiring diagram. If any information on a dealer of IMP or catalog comes about it would be greatly appricated.

Thank you.

12. lameduck1

lameduck1 New Member

I M P's are great boats

I have a 74 23' inca IMP with a hard top. I keep my boat down in the marina at dana point harbor in Ca. This boat handles the ocean like no tomorrow. I have it able to hold 130 gallons of gas and re-disigned the back seets to fit the massive 454 I/O mercruser engine. She will go around 45 mph in ideal conditions. I want to take the hard top off so I can make more room for fishing. Anybody with one that has a good idea of how to take the top off without messing anything up. It would be greatly appreacited. I really LOVE this boat.

13. grgoyle1229

grgoyle1229 Junior Member

Hello
    I also have joined the group of Imp owners. I wheeled and dealed for 1976 Imp 20' Aztec with a 190 omc. This is my first boat project and hopefully we can all learn from each other here. I picked the boat up for practically nothing and was told that it was in the water less then 2 years ago. I just received a new starter and plan on installing it tomorrow but i have noticed a spot that looked like something was mounted there but nothing is there I need some pics of the motor but i think it might be the solenoid hopefully i can atleast get it started perhaps some of you might have some hints for starting this beast after such a long time sitting. I should prolly remove the gas from the tanks and replace it with fresh.

14. grgoyle1229

grgoyle1229 Junior Member

Im back again
    I found that i have a cracked exhaust manifold and when i hooked up the water supply to turn the engine over there was all kinds of water running out of the bottom of the motor where there are 3 large holes. I was wondering if this is a bad sing Im afraid that she might have a cracked block but Im not familiar with boat cooling systems and dont know what to think. I havet been able to start it yet since the battery is totally dead so i will have to find another before i turn it over. Any info that you all could send my way would be appreciated. I am considering completly rebuilding the motor assuming the block isnt cracked. Well thats enough for now
    Grgoyle1229

15. JKE

JKE Junior Member

IMP Repair Manual

Hello again.
    It sounds like a couple of us could use the help of an Owner's Manual on IMP boats. While I have not yet found any of those in particular, I have found (and purchased) a SELOC Repair Manual for OMC Stern Drives (1964-86). It has been somewhat enlightening, but covers so many different OMC's, that much of the info is very broad. But there are some wiring diagrams in the back, with some very helpful photos (for those of us that need to know where the water drains are, starters, solenoids, etc.).
    I purchased my SELOC on Ebay from BUSTERS MARINE SERVICE. He has fair prices and fast shipping.
    Update on my own IMP: Turns out I own a 1981 Comanche Runabout with Cuddy. It is 18-feet 6-inches (not 21-feet as I was originally told). The engine (while it is an OMC) is actually built by General Motors, and is a 305 Cubic Inch engine with 200 Horsepower, and an 800 Series OMC Outdrive. The prop is a 15-inch X 17 Pitch. After spending about 2 months scrubbing, cleaning, deoxidizing, polishing, oiling the teak, and waxing, she looks pretty nice! Plus, addes new carpet, new cuddy sleeping cushions, CD/Stereo system, some 6 X 9's, a LOT of new wiring, new bilge hoses and mounts, new anchors, new depth-finder/fish-finder, life jackets, fenders, covers, newly-repaired covertible canvas top, (and more cleaning!), she has turned into quite a nice boat.
    Took her out last week for her maiden Arizona lake trip. She ran like an absolute champion! Easily hit 40+ MPH, the 305 V-8 purred. She handled big surface chop like it wasn't even there. A very smooth, quiet, exhilerating boat ride. My buddy offered me $3,000 for her on the spot. (Naturally I laughed at him). I am now a very proud IMP boat owner. I can see why those of you that have owned them (or several) over the years say they are great boats! I agree.
    If I am able to locate any other information on IMP Boats (of any kind) I will certainly pass it along. Talk to you soon.

Jake

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.