IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. KStearns

KStearns New Member

Yes I would greatly appreciate the info you have.
    Please

2. evanstein

evanstein New Member

02' Imp

Here is a pick of my 02' maybe the last boat out of Iola!

Attached Files:

3. NadaBoring

NadaBoring Two Time IMP Owner

Motor Mount rebuild

I am going through just what you describe about motor mounts. I've been quoted a grand to pulll the engine and rebuild the area - that's assuming there is rot in the fiber glass. If there is none the price will drop accordingly. It's a necessary chore, however, as operating an IMP without good motor mounts can really screw up the outdrive. I orginally thought my boat was a 1984 per the seller's information, but see by the title which recently arrived that I've got a '73. Our trip to Powell never materialized and now we're looking at November for our first wet down cruise. Whatever. Just working on this boat makes me happy, so I can imagine how pleased I'll be when we head out across Lake Mead. Best to all, and I'm really enjoying the comments..........John

4. smac6

smac6 New Member

IMP - I joined the club

I just purchased my first boat, a 1990 IMP Europa 205 with a 230hp 5.8 liter Cobra OMC. I’m new to boating and as many of you, have found VERY little on the net about the boat. I had a mechanic check it out and he loved it and for the price I feel it was a bargain. It’s clean as can be, in good shape. I’d love to receive any info anyone may have on these boats. If I find something or someone, I’ll pass it on too. Hope to keep us IMP owners talking.

5. tweakin

tweakin New Member

IMP 32' Express Cruiser Elantra

I purchased a 1990 IMP last July 2004. I think they are very well built boats. I think on repowering the boat. What you think?
    32' overall lenght 34'8" powered with twin 454 bravo1 it cruises 32k max 42k
    What is the web site for IMP owners?

6. epsdecasablanca

epsdecasablanca New Member

Manual for IMP

Latch,

I would very much like to obtain copies of your IMP related manuals and would be pleased to pay for CD's and your time., please email me at epstephenson@netzero.net.

Incidentally, the NADA web site (blue book) indicates that IMP boats in this size range weigh between 4100 and 4400 Lbs + trailer, depending on the engine and whether fitted with a hardtop. I just towed a INCA with a full size sedan fitted with 3500 lb hitch for 400+ miles. The trailer allowed the boat to set fairly far back and the tongue weight did not bottom out the rear of the car. Like yourself, I am doing a rebuild.

Thanks,

Ed

7. NadaBoring

NadaBoring Two Time IMP Owner

This is a general message to all hands who are working on older IMPs. Have noticed many messages about water being trapped in different areas. One area you all should probably take a look at is in the gasoline tank compartment. Mine is built into the deck and had a wooden plank over it with about a million screws. When I got the cover off I found the tank was totally surrounded by water and all the packing between the tank and the hole was rotten. The hole is totally glass so no rotting wood but it seems strange there was no drainage method built into the boat design. Just thought I'd pass that on and while I might have opened up another problem area it's best to know about these things. We're replacing the wood under the starboard side motor mounts on my '73 IMP Aztec now. An easy job except for pulling the engine. Good luck to all.

John

8. oneloho

oneloho 73 imp aztec

hey all. i am located in kansas city missouri. my family just inherited my grandfathers 73 aztec. solid boat. 305chev omc. lil over 1200 hours on it.
    my father used to work for imp. he cut all the fiberglass when they came out of the molds to prep them to be bonded together. he said they were some of the smallest buildings he has ever worked in.

Now to my real question any place i can find some parts? i know exactly where Raymond's is we buy our parts there all the time. we have a lake house down at the ozarks. Is he the best place to go?

9. oneloho

oneloho 73 imp aztec

Nada my father had the same problems with the motor mounts he took a piece of angle iron and used that back there instead of the fiberglass. he said it was a weak spot even from the plant. he said he brought thtat up to them many times

10. KCAztec73

KCAztec73 Junior Member

73 Aztec

oneloho,
    I too have taken ownership of the family's 73 Aztec. Great boat. I grew up riding in this boat and now am enjoying the ownership side of it. When I first got the boat I had to have the water pump in the outdrive rebuilt and then had to replace the tilt motor. I found a place here in KC that works on the old OMC drivers. It's US Boat Works in KC, KS. They fixed me right up when I needed the repairs done. Here's a parts site for old stringer 800 parts. http://www.sterndrive.info/

I would love to some pics of your Aztec if you've got any.

11. Emmett

Emmett Junior Member

1970 Aztec restore progress

This is what it looked like when I picked her up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is where I am now. I have gone through a ton of sand paper, and sweet.
    I still have a lot left to do, but this is it so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think.
    Emmett

12. KCAztec73

KCAztec73 Junior Member

IMP Aztec

Looking good. Keep up the hard work. Everytime I see an old IMP I get excited that I own one. What a great looking boat that's gonna be. I like the color you've chosen for the deck. Is that a 225 OMC? If in your restoration process you run across the 225 plate and the round OMC plate that goes on the top of the outdrive please let me know where to get them. I'm looking for those 2 items to dress up my OMC 225. Great job on your restoration project. How's the engine look?

13. KCAztec73

KCAztec73 Junior Member

My '73

Here's my '73 Aztec. 307 Chevy, 225 OMC. The 'Aztec' sticker on the side by the IMP logo was not added by IMP until I believe '75. My dad bought this sticker at an IMP dealer and put it on. Other than that and the guages it's still stock.

Attached Files:

14. Emmett

Emmett Junior Member

KCAztec73, Thank you for the comments. If I come across those plates somewhere I will let you know. And yes, it is the 225, same motor as you'rs, and it seems to be pretty sound.
    I am looking forward to getting it in the water, but don't want to rush it.
    Can you take some pics of the interior of you're boat and send to me at
    jhk3531@aol.com? I want to see a couple different interiors to see how I want to do it.
    Thank you,
    Emmett

15. KCAztec73

KCAztec73 Junior Member

My '73

I have some interior pics that I took when I went down to winterize this last time. As soon as I get my scanner working I'll scan them and send them to you. So how far are you taking your '70 down? I'm curious to know if your has the trim system on it. I know that that Aztec and maybe some other IMP's have a trim of sorts built into the rear of the hull so the faster the boat goes the further the nose goes down. I was just curious if IMP included the trim system for the OMC.

Jim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.