IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. pdave1s

pdave1s http://impboatclub.com

Jason,
    You may be able to save a bit of $$ by doing the work yourself, the manuals for your outdrive can be had at amazon.com (i got the ones for my omc 1964-1986 as a pair for $65 with shipping to calif.)
    I will be doing an impeller replacement on a 1970 omc electric shift oudrive in about 2 weeks, and posting a step by step photo series on http://impboatclub.com .(Already posted is a photo series showing the replacement of a transom boot)
    The theory is the same for mercruiser, and with the manuals at hand it isnt that hard to do.
    I will also be posting a photo series on converting a chevy 350 car engine to marine use, describing in detail the steps that need to be done to make this engine live under the heavier stresses a marine engine is subjected to(I have many years of machine shop experience, and have built more engines, marine, and auto, than I care to remember)I will detaill the main differences in an auto and a marine engine, and what parts need to be replaced with their marine counterparts(carb, starter, alternator, cam,freeze plugs and Bearings) along with adding water drain valves to the block

2. Emmett

Emmett Junior Member

Robsdog, That seems like a pretty good deal for that rig. I paid $600.00 for mine, and it was in much worse shape then that one is. I am in the middle of rebuilding my 1970 Aztec.
    That is a great idea about the IMP web site. I am going to give it a look, sounds like a great idea.
    Thanks,
    Emmett

3. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Aarrgggghhhhh

I got the key to the Aztec, towed it the two blocks over to the boat ramp and it would not start!!

There is no gas at all at the carb and the hoses are too brittle to try to disconnect and check for gas flow on either side of the pump. I have not bought the boat yet!

It would fire over with ether but then it would quit. I took it back and told the "middleman" (woman) that I would call the estate administrator again.

The cap and rotor had carbon but I cleaned that out-the points were OK.

I did go show my daughter the #2 boat choice while we were out that way. It is a 1994 Renken with an 85 Evinrude.....

4. pdave1s

no gas at carb

Try priming the carb with a little bit of gas, then firing it over, make sure to replace the aircleaner/spark arrestor before cranking. If it starts, runs for a few seconds, then quits, you know that either the pump is bad, or the line between the tank and the pump has a crack in it and is sucking air, or the float needle is stuck in the carb from sitting
    The fact that it runs on ether tells you that there is nothing major wrong with the engine, or the ignition system. The fuel pump, and or fuel lines are not considered a major repair that would stop me from buying the boat.
    as for boat choice #2 you wont get near the ride, or the smooth wake for skiing that you will with the IMP, It makes a great tow boat

Dave

5. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Ok,

I bought the Aztec today!

When I got it home. I ran down the fuel problem. I have gas at the carb connection but none going through the carb. The engine will crank on cleaner or ether but will not run on its own. I highly suspect a stuck needle valve.

I did spray cleaner into the bowl hoping to loosen it but that did not work. I am not used to Rochester carbs, I am used to Carters. If it was a Carter I would knock it with a 2X4 and it would loosen up....

I do have a good Chevy shop nearby. I hope to get it there by Thursday-and perhaps on the lake by Saturday.

The interesting item is that the Mercruiser is original. The owner left the papers in the glove box with all maintenenace records back to day one. That was a wonderful find! Even the original manual for the engine was in there.

Another interesting find was that the fuel hose from the pump to the carb in not a standard line- it is a hydraulic hose. Is this normal?
    Jason

6. ScreeminChikin

ScreeminChikin New Member

Just wanted to pop in and say howdy. New guy around here and proud new owner of a 74 Aztec. Got it in the water for the first time this last weekend and I'm in love with this boat already. Ran into a problem with the tilt motor and clutch that is turning a little expensive but for what I paid for the boat I guess I cant complain.

@desotopit:
    Mind if I ask what you ended up giving for that boat? Looks like it is in pretty nice shape. I'm just curious what these old boats are worth.

7. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

We took the boat out today!

6-10-06 027.JPG

6-10-06 040.JPG

6-10-06 053.JPG

6-10-06 028.JPG 6-10-06 027.JPG

6-10-06 040.JPG Our 1971 Aztec went for a ride today here in Florida.

It was my daughter's birthday and we were able to spend the afternoon on the lake.
    The boat rides super. It goes through rough water that would soak you in a newer boat and we were dry.It felt great to have an "oldie" like this running the lake again!

8. Emmett

Emmett Junior Member

Boat looks great. I looks like ya'll had a good time on the water.
    I would like to see better pics of the boat, inside and out. I am redoing my 20ft. IMP. I am going to make it more of a fishing boat, a striper boat.
    I have a 1996 Nitro Fish and Ski for bass and crappie fishing. This one will be for the larger lakes.
    It is getting closer and closer to being done. Just have to work very slow, cause of my back problem. But, I think it will turn out pretty good.

9. pdave1s

I Bet it felt great to get back out on the water, and on your daughters birthday no less, that makes it even better

Dave
    aka
    impboatc
    http://impboatclub.com

10. 1969imp

1969imp Junior Member

11. bill4tuna

bill4tuna Junior Member

hello out there. Looking for a original SS swim step ladder for 1978 20" imp aztec. all referrals or resources appreciated.

12. Lucian_fegley

Lucian_fegley Junior Member

Can Some One Help Me?

I just bought a 1974 IMP 25 1/2 ft boat with twin inboard Ford V-8's
    I am looking for any information on this boat. All I know is the outdrive are called the 888's with a 1.5 gear ratio. It has a cuddy cabin with a port-a-pottie. Please any information would be helpful.

Attached Files:

13. 67NAVAJO

67NAVAJO New Member

Hello, We are in the process of trying to restore a 67 IMP Navajo V, anyone know where we can find pictures to see what it might have looked like new?
    Thanks for any help

14. Emmett

Emmett Junior Member

I found pics on the web, by doing a search for IMP Boats, and emailing the people that are selling one like I have. A couple sent me some good pics of the 20" Aztec that I am working on.
    Good luck,
    Emmett

15. pdave1s

>Emmet

There are some pics of a 1970, 20' imp aztec at http://impboatclub.com
    I am restoring/updating this boat, and photo documenting the entire process, and have started a site just for imp owners to contribute to, and find resources on
    Dave aka
    impboatc@impboatclub.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.