I want to build a fiber-glass bay boat!...

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mufit, Sep 5, 2006.

1. mufit

mufit Only a Sea Lover

Hello,
    I'm very new in this forum. My matter is that I want to build a fiber-glass bay (fishing) boat with the lenght 4-4,25 meters. I plan to use it on sea for fishing/cruising. I have a friend for fiber-glass production so no problem about it. My problems are following;

1- I am an automotive designer and know to use design softwares. Which software (s) do I have to use for designing? (Rhino, Catia, 3Dmax, etc)

2- What kind of material can I use for mold itself? As cheap as possible because I'll use it for 2-3 boat build. Can someone give me a plan or 3d model (data) about mold or boat itself?

3- How can I reach the information about engines? Drawings, weights, etc..

4- How can I calculate the water line? The line boat stands on water.

Thank you very much!...

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi mufit,
    Unless you're already familiar with the myriad issues (stability, strength, weight distribution, powering, trim, etc) you'll be better off to buy stock plans that have already been built and tested.
    A full fibreglass mould is only economical if (a) you are building many boats, or (b) you are doing autoclave cures. Even the many rapid-prototype mould systems available are still pretty pricey, especially for a small boat with its inherently slim profit margain.
    Every major engine builder posts the necessary specs on their websites, or will send specs if asked. But if you don't know anything about designing hulls, simply slapping on a motor you like on a drawing that looks pretty will usually cause the boat (if it floats) to either spin out, flip end-over-end, or simply handle like a pig.
    Bottom line, if you want a boat for yourself, buy stock plans and follow them; if you want a new design, find an NA or take the classes to learn what one does.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Most bay boats in the US are just a big box with a rounded or even square bow. THey are flat bottom or a very slight Vee. They are made to hold lots of fishing gear and carry a big load. Plus they are wide open, no deck and a center or side consol for the steering and controls. Some don't even have a seat. If there are any people in your are who have a boat like this ask them if you can take a mold off of it.

4. mufit

mufit Only a Sea Lover

First of all,
    Many thanks for your supports.
    Would you please advice me a web side sales this kind of boat plans? I already searched (last 2 weeks) but couldn't find any kind of boat I liked. I want a boat with the lenght is 4-4,25 meters and suitable for boating/fishing. I am even OK with center concole models. Any advice about software? Maybe I can design something for inner lay-out instead of outer hull...

Thanks again.

5. Toot

Toot Senior Member

6. Barbaros

Barbaros Junior Member

Software issue

Hello Mufit,

If you want to design by your own I will recommend RHINO3D.
    One of the best "easy to use" 3D software. Learning curve is quite fast.
    Bu programi Turkiye'de kullananlar oldukca bol.

Good luck.
    Eric.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.