Help me ID this boat?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by doc_texoma, Feb 25, 2007.

1. doc_texoma

doc_texoma Junior Member

It was listed as a 1968 Glastron Ski Bird - but I found a 1968 glastron brochure and it was nowhere to be found.

I like the design of this boat.. I think it was VERY ahead of its time and think it would be a fun (and somewhat easy due to size) restoration project if I can find one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

obviosly it is Batmans Bat boat,,,,,,,,,really cool looking ,,sure is worth fixing up,,longliner

3. doc_texoma

doc_texoma Junior Member

who made it? what year? what model?

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I really wish I knew,,the stern looks awfull strange,,can you tell what type of power she needs?

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

It may be a Hammond. Glastron was founded by Carlson and Hammond. Hammond had his own line of boats and they are very often mistaken for Glastrons. Try this web site http://www.classicglastron.com/ This has a lot fo pics and both glastron and Hammond classics

6. tequilacat

tequilacat New Member

Ski-Bird!

Hi Doc,

How exciting!!! That looks like a 12 food Ski-Bird that my parents built back in the 60s. We had 3 sizes...a small 8 footer that was a one-person boat, the 12 foot, and a 16 foot that seated 4 or 5.

We lived in Indiana, where the boats were all made by hand by Mom, Dad, and a few folks they had working for them. I was very young but who knows...I may have even helped roll the fiberglass in that boat.

Please email me privately as I'd love to see what you've done with it. I haven't seen one of our boats in years and came online tonight specifically searching to see if I could find one!

Therese

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.