Help Identify This 17' Chris Craft

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by foxxaero, Aug 26, 2004.

1. foxxaero

foxxaero Junior Member

Help Identify This Classic 17' Chris Craft

Hi, I just picked up a mid sixties 17' fiberglass Chris Craft runabout which I am planning to restore. My problem is that I do not know the exact year and model, and I am looking for some help to identify this boat. Any one have any links to good Chris Craft sites where I might get some info on boats from this era? It came with no interior, so I am also looking for some pics or brochures available on the web to assist in the restoration. Many thanks in advance for any help. Russ

Attached Files:

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

3. foxxaero

foxxaero Junior Member

Thanks Craig

So far I have discovered ...

- it is a 1963-67 XL175 or XL170, built by the Chris-Craft Corsair division,

- The 17.5' XL175 or XL170 Sun Lounger was built between 1963 and 1967.
    The XL175 was only built in 1964, and featured bucket seats. If it had back to back seats, then it is the XL170 Sun Lounger.

- According to the Essential Chris Craft Guide, the following quantities
    of this model were produced:

1963 161
    1964 225
    1965 100
    1966 160 (called the 17' Sport V)
    1967 25 (called the 17' Sport V)

My next step is to positively identify the year and model for restoration purposes. I haven't purchased the Chris Craft reference 'bible', but if any one has one, please look up the HIN ... OXCO 17 3014 N ... and provide anymore info on the particular model I have. Any brochure type pics of the boat in showroom condition would also be very helpful. Many Thanks in advance.

BTW - anyone who is also interested in restoring classic fiberglass boats from the 50's - 60's will probably find Fiberglassics an interesting site.

Cheers

Russ

4. Nate

Nate Guest

about your chris craft

Send me an e-mail and we can talk about your boat. I have one that looks just like yours although mine is a 15.5 foot boat. My email is schuby1982@yahoo.com

5. Duayne

Duayne New Member

XL170 Corsair

Russ,

I have a 1963 XL170 that I restored five years ago. Original engine Merc 850 in-line six cylinder. Mine runs great. We use it in Tampa Bay and the Gulf regularly. See photo.

I have repros of the original brochures and copies of the original sales slip to the original owner. Bought her out of Atlanta for $350 with a tree growing in the years of collected dirt in her. Had fun bringing her back to life and putting her to work.

I'm not sure if I can help at all, but would like to share information.

I am also trying to find some parts.

email is duayne.sharpe@att.net

Drop me a line, do you still have the boat? Want to sell her or part her out?

Duayne

Attached Files:

6. foxxaero

foxxaero Junior Member

Thanks Duayne - Great Looking boat you got there. I let mine go, and have moved on to other projects.

7. Duayne

Duayne New Member

Where did you sell it?

Can you tell me who you sold it to?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.