Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. martin@kroesche

martin@kroesche Junior Member

Steve:
    The interior looks great. I know the feeling about the "project" or the "effin" project. I catch the same static. A friend of mine who owns a jet aircraft interior shop agreed to do my interior...ill send pictures when its done. He said we have another week. We followed the interior design used my Fountain on its 47 Lightning..go to to the fountain site and look at the 47 interior, it is almost exactly the same size. We used honeycomb removeable panels which weigh nothing. You can pick up an 8 foot section with one hand. We glassed in and expaned the bathroom, glassed in the center hatch and placed a round flush mount(deck) hatches for the front and rear. (lightning). We are at the cabin door and designing the helm station and cockpit area. We will have two air-conditioners, one for the cabin, and one for the helm area (with 360 degrees curtains). In Texas, its hot all year so this will be a nice addition, under the hard top. I want to glass in the windshield and raise the helm station so it is up, not in a pit like currently. We also will improve the top drive with instruments and guages..like a 2nd station GPS. I am going to Miami next week to look at the electic system options, replacing the generator with a state of the art inverter system. This will be interesting.(Bert Kehren, of Miami, owns 2 Harleys and installed the inverter system on his 42, wrote and article in Power & Motoryacht magazine) With the cabin and re-power I should be removing about 2 tons off the boat.

The power vent drive, unlike a traditional fixed surface drive, is flush mounted into the transom keel, like a seadoo jet drive. The lowest and exposed point of the drive is the keel pad and transom. When i first saw this I flew to the DonSmith(Powervent) factory to see it in person. Don Smith took me on a boat ride and I can asure you, what you saw on those videios is prescisly what it does, first hand. I am not a salesman for PV, but it is incredible.(however, i do not know how the bow steer effect is in the harley) In fact, the don smith boat is the best overall built in its class, hands down. When i went there they offered to build me one for 299k, which i thought was a lot and i already owend the Harley. Now, he ask 499k and there are two used ones on the internet asking 379k, used. Did you look at my boat on the internet? Your drives look like they are situated slightly farther apart then mine..maybe its just the angle of the picture. Send more pictures of your interior and exterior...it looks great and of the 20 or so Harleys I have personally seeen, it appears to be the best one. Thanks for the info and pictures, it is good to find another H-effin-nut.....Regards-Martin

2. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

I did all the interior my self, except when a sewing machine was needed for cushions and stuff. It was a learning experiance. I hired local kids to do the tear out. That was not easy. Harley must have used gallons of 5200 . Used a heat gun, very sharp chisels and big hammers and pry bars to get everything out of the cabin. I added alot more teak than it had before. Finished it with automotive clear. Very happy with the look.
    Sounds like you are doing alot more to yours than i did. I would like to see some pics as you get along in your project.
    I am also looking for an electronics package. I am leaning towards a Garmin Radar/ chartplotter. I like the low profile antenna and the video input so I can have a camera in my engine room.
    I currenlty have a 1500W heart/Interface inverter and a Kohler 4.0 genset. I think it is the perfect set up. Use the inverter for small stuff, then fire up the gen if I need to run A/C or electric heat.
    So are you going with the Arensons or the Power Vent? yes I did take a peek at your boat on the internet. It looks good setting on the water. Especially with the tower. You are right about the distance betwwen the drives on my boat. They are on 42" centers. This boat was rigged with triple diesels when new. Then converted to twin gas. The boat will not turn real sharp at speed unless you drop the inside tab during the turn.
    All of the Harleys that I have seen were pretty rough. These boats are built like a brick outhouse, but the rigging and finish leaves alot to be desired. These are the issues that I have been working on. Here are a few more pics. The new logo was inspired by Magnum's Logo.It is very similiar to the Harley Logo but cleaner. I had a guy take that and turn into something I liked. It is chrome with a red outline. I think it contrasts the navy blue perfectly.

Steve H

Steve H

Attached Files:

3. martin@kroesche

Harley

Steve:
    Your boat looks great. It's exciting to see it and the way it turned out. I think you did Harley a favor by enhancing the logo...that looks great. I was thinking that your bow steer might have been partially a result of the position of your drives(the width). My boat has never really had a bow steer problem but my application, off shore fishing, has not required me to do much performacne driving as you would in a cruiser boat. I am going to visit my boat soon and I will attach ongoing pictures. We are in the final stage of decision making for the gears, the debate being the reduction ratio, 1.5 to 1 as the former and possibly 1.75 to 1 with the higher rpm yanmars. With respect to the electronics, the best avaviable is the garmin interfacing nav net system. They have designred it so tjat all of your equipment interacts. This is probally what ill use, i have always been a Garmin fan and the boat currentyl has the 2010 color, Furuno sounder and 24nm radar with the array boom. With the nav net i think i will be able to cosolidate and interface these machines. It seems like the more time goes by the better the electronics and cheaper they get. Take care and keep me updated....ill attach pictures soon. Thanks for all your info and thanks for sharing. martin@padredevelopment.com

4. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Hey Martin,

how's the boat coming?

Stebe H

5. martin@kroesche

46 Harley

Steve:
    Thanks for asking. Its coming slowly but surely, and we are being very meticulous about every detail. I typed you a long detailed thread and it was lost. I haven't had the easiest time with this site, I can not figure out how to attach thumbnail pictures past the manage attachments area! When I went there for pictures it lost the thread...so I'm tired and ill send you info tomorrow. I'm glad your interested and I want to send you pictures....
    Martin

6. martin@kroesche

Steve:
    Here are some before and after pictures, I think. I have them in managed attachments, I hope they will add to the thread. Martin

Attached Files:

7. martin@kroesche

Pictures

Here is a description of the pictures. 1. Engine Room, completely glassed, two shelves, bulkheads will have stainless steel mesh, top shelve will have northern lights gen, left and right will be the racors. lower shelve will have 60gal fresh water and battery trays on the left and right side of the compartment. 2nd picture is of the new flush mount hatches, we removed 3 bulky square ones and replaced them with 2 flush mount rounds. 3rd is the profile pre-refurb. 4th is the old cabin, cluttered but still nice. 5th is the new galley, it is noiw installed and the interior is 90% complete. I will attach updated pictures. they are installing the motors currently. Martin

8. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Martin

Looks Awsome, I really like the round hatches.

I hope that galley fits through the door!

I am looking forward to hearing your performance and fuel burn numbers.

Keep the pics coming

Steve

9. john2153

john2153 New Member

I worked at Harley Boats for a while in Barstow Fl, and agree that howard is a real goof, who took over the business from his dad who started as a manufacture of float plane equipment. I would answer any questions if you care to write. John molly6rock@yahoo.com

10. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Martin,

Here are a couple pics taken before the hatches were installed. I was almost done with the final rigging. Lot easier to work on with the hatches off! notice how far apart the center stringers are. This boat was rigged for triple diesels when new. I fantisize occasionally about triple 315hp Yanmar or 6BT series cummins. I just happen to have a extra Arneson Drive on a shelf. Back to reality. These motors are in great shape. I will run them for awhile.

Steve

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. martin@kroesche

Harley 46

Steve:
    Your deck and cockpit look clean. You have done a great job with your Harley. I am getting close to completion. this has been almost a two year process. They have built and added the stainless steel engine mounts, the generator and water tank. I had problems with the rebuilds on my drives(ASD10 or SP1200) I have no found out that this is the same drive by Great Lakes Power in Mich.

Anyway, in my desperation I called Howard and he was able to help me find new drives. I simply have to put in writing that he has helped me out...so there, I said it. We have new(used) drives, I have an extra set of which one is completely rebuilt for a spare. The Yanmars are going in over the next ten days, we will need another week of rigging and then we splash. There is too much going on at this point to list, everything is new, finally.

in other exciting news I added spell checker so future post do not resemble previous. I am attempting to attach two pictures of a friends 60Harley w/ power vent. He has working on this boat longer than I have been on mine. This is an exceptional boat and should have unbelievable performance. Ill take current pictures of my rig and post those at a later date. Regrds, Martin

Attached Files:

12. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Steve , what paint did you use on the cockpit?

13. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Martin,

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more pictures. I love the look of that 60' Harley! I would love to own it!

Bukneked,

It is a two part auto paint. I can't remember the brand. I mixed in some texture and mixed the color my self. It is a very light gray.

Thanks,

Steve H

14. martin@kroesche

Harley 46

Steve:
    Here are some more pictures I promised. We now have all of the parts and are in the process of assembly. I asked the shop if we were going to drop in the motors soon and he said, "No, we are going to set them in real gently next week". Ill send more but its really coming together, finally. Ill attach the pictures and describe them in the next thread. Regards-Martin

Attached Files:

15. martin@kroesche

Top Left: Fuel transfer w/valves-can send fuel any direction and we added a extension line to either suck fuel from a barrel or exterior tank or transfer it to a boat in need. The fuel fills are 3" so there is no back pressure and the fills are on the floor under the seating....no spills at the marina-has catch tray.
    Top Center: Added shelfs, top generator w/ racors left and right.
    Top Right: Oil Transfer system, stainless.
    Bottom: Overview of engine room with stainless mounts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.