Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

Prop stuff, etc.
    Haven't been on line much but I have been using the boat some. several offshore trips of 160 mile round trip (include 40 miles trolling) and some tuna and dolphin, only 1 marlin all year. With new water pumps, etc. I am running 20 degrees or so cooler, right at the recommended 180 degrees. Hey Ron I saw your bottom paint job photos (we call that a blue belly here), what is the intake with scoop for? air cond? Bottom looks good! Thouhgt I would give you guys a prop note. I was going to have props re-done due to 2 small dings and I was not getting my full 2800 rpm unless I raise drives way up and then the bow wants to jump up and down. I called Ken martin @ Pacific Surface Drives, he advised John Rose on the construction of the props 5 years ago and I have been pretty pleased. Ken suggested removing 1/16" off of the trailing edge of each blade to increase rpm by about 75. I looked at what he was suggesting and it makes sense. Since I had the boat on the trailer I thought I would try something before going to prop shop. I switched rotation so they swing out. I have been running inswinging for 19 years. Wouldn't you know it, picked up 2-3 mph, reduced rooster tail, bow stays down better with less trim tab use, and steering is fine. I can't believe I waited all these years but thats how things ususally go for me. I still need 200-300 more rpm which will hopefully be accomplished by trimming the prop blades. I now have to reverse my gear cables so my levers are correct but that is easy. Ken says most mono-hulls with Arneson's run better with outswing and Cats run better with inswing. Which way are you guys swinging (props I mean)? Hope you guys are using your boats some more, fuel is down pretty good here, I had it delievered to my house the other day @ $3.85. I am planning an Awl-Grip paint job this fall. I have a guy working on some other boats who does it with brush & roller and it is awesome. He did my girlfriend's 24' Scout in Fighting Lady Yellow and it looks like a new boat. I'll try to get Susan to post some photos. I just bought all of the new rub-rail it was about $1,500 delivered. Any feedback on the prop swing will be appreciated.

2. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

Hello Brothers
    My props spin in when they are running but you all know my saga and mine are gas motors and velvet drives which don't like to be spun backwards.

When I repower I am planning on changing the spin direction as well....I hear it will steer better around the dock that way and I hope to get gears that don't care either way.

Be well and boat for me

O

3. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Harley Guys

I haven't boated at all in August. I did head up stream for a few days in July. It was a 550 mile round trip. Weather was beautiful. Water was extremly flat except for a short stretch that was towards the end of our day anyway. We pulled into the Marina soaking wet. But the temp was in the high 90's, so it was a nice way to cool off.

I did have a minor engine issue. One motor got hot and I shut it down quickly, (Too quickly). I did not have the throttle stick all the way back like I should have causing the engine to diesel (run backwards). This inturn pulled water into the engine, causing it to lock up. We had to pull all the spark plugs then crank the water out of the engine. I never did determine why it got hot in the first place. Only theory I have is that the intake was plugged from the outside with debris. Then it fell away when I shut down the engine. But it was a minor pain to get running again and we were on our way.
    Turning the props out? I have always assumed that they should be turned in. I know the racing crowd will experiment with the rotation but I didn't think it would make much difference in my application. I have always tried to get more bow lift and it seems as if turning the props out would encourage stern lift rather that the bow. But I will try just about anything at least once. The boat will be out of the water in a couple of weeks anyway for other work. I might just give it a try.

I still want to install that bow thruster. I just purchased a hydrohoist. After I get that installed I will get to the thruster project.

Lee, be sure to keep us updated on the paint job. I would like to do some work on mine, but I don't want to spray it in my new boathouse. The roll on method would be the ticket for me. I have seen some work done by roller before and it is amazing. I think the trick is using the right products, and the wet sanding and buffing afterwards.

Good boating everyone,

Steve

Attached Files:

4. Swamplizard

Happy New Year ALL - wish you a safe, healthy, and prosperous 2009 fellow Harley Fans. Get out there and do some boating while fuel prices are down!

The wife and I decided to set aside some coin to fix the Harley's motors once and (we hope) for all this winter....probably go 540cubes, naturally aspirated, heavy duty everything and fresh water cooling. Also changing out the transmissions for some 72Cs instead of the 71s so it can handle more horsepower, going 2:1 ratio to allow for more prop choices as well and lower the load a bit and I can have two regular rotation motors. Wish us luck!
    Cheers!

Swampy

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. Swamplizard

BTW: Does anyone have a detailed schematic of the Superstar 42 hull? I have a freind in the marine business who wants to try something - it is a floating anti-barnacle solution and I need to know the exact dimentions of the vessel from the waterline down.

Short of diving or pulling the vessel - perhaps someone has a drawing?

6. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Well I finally got the new to me hoist installed in the new to me house. It's been a long road going through the permitting process, but I finally can enjoy some fruits of my stress and labor.

I just loaded on about 500 gallons of that 2.00 gas. I won't need it for quite a while, but thats fine with me. It's went up about 40 cents since the first of the year. No one seems to know why. This will give me a little hedge on summer prices I hope.

Steve

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. pizzacutter

Harley Houses

Wow, Steve I thought I had a cool place to keep my Harley but yours is awesome! I have done a lot of waterfront construction including a small marina so I can only imagine what the permit process was like. Looks like you prevailed! I'd like to see some outside photos to show the body of water and so forth. What size is the building, materials, etc? I had Susan attach a few photos of my "Harley House" but they are a few years old. I have added another pier and some more decking around the house, garage and waterfront. My building is 46' wide but I have partitioned off 16' for offices, bathroom, utitlity room and recreation room on first floor and an apartment on the 2nd floor. That leaves me about 30' x 65' of garage space which is enough for Harley and about 4 cars. We have a lot of vehicles so I rent storage space elsewhere for some cars but I hope to add a 3 car garage attached to the house so I can try to keep everything at home. Between myself, my son, my girlfriend and her son we have 8 boats so it can get a bit crowded but we have almost 300' of waterfront and some of the boats are for duck hunting so they are only used in the winter. You probably can see beside the garage that we have a launch ramp that is big enough for the Harley so I can put in or out as needed for repairs or cleaning. We also trailer a lot to go to our 2nd home on the Chesapeake Bay so the ramp is very convenient. The neighbors also like to borrow it. I'm getting ready for an insurance survey of the Harley so I have it in the garage. The engines are 6 years old this year so I'm changing out batteries, somes hoses, some upholstry and other misc. stuff. With fuel down I'm hoping for much more use this summer. By the way props are going to the shop for some changes recommended by Ken Martin of Pacific Surface Drives. I'll post results when I have them. Let's see more photos of the "Harley House". Hey, this is Susan, my aerial photo is too large 2.15 mb to attach, will have to send it next time, sorry.

Attached Files:

8. pizzacutter

Hey Swamp, I am going to Palm Beach this week. Hope to get there Thur. 2-19. If my girlfriend doesn't make me work around the yard all week I will be cruising around some (by car). If convenient I'd like to look at the boat. Post back if you're around.
    Pizza

9. pizzacutter

first splash 2009

anybody been boating this year? we had 90 degree weather last week so I bolted on the re-done props and put the boat in the water. As I mentioned last fall I had switched rotation to outswinging and was pleased with minor improvements. over the winter upon advice of ken martin @ pacific surface drives I had 1/16" removed from the trailing edge of props which was supposed to add 75 rpm. I am real pleased. I think there is 2-3mph more in the cruise and a nice feel when the throttles are punched, top end was 49.7mph on gps. I think I am done with prop changes as I don't see it getting much better. hey swamp, I got one more trip to Palm beach soon to bring back girlfiend's boat and other stuff probably around June 1. I'll post to see if you are around. Best of boating luck to everyone in 09. Post up some photos and info when you get them. hey steve I want to see the outside of the harley house.

Attached Files:

10. Swamplizard

Pizza - the boat is not running and I unfortunately lost my job in January so repairs will not happen for some time (been a rough couple of years). Sorry Bro would love to take you for a boat ride .... but alas....you know how it can be sometimes. We can however grab a beer - give me a call lauderdale area code 598 4800. Oliver

11. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

Steve, judging by the photos are you posted in January you hadn't yet received your propellers from Rose, are you still waiting? I'm considering ordering a single for one of my projects. I've previously purchased two propellers from him, the last one was delivered on time and has performed well, fall 07 if I remember right.
    Gerald

12. Swamplizard

Pizza- Lee - call me when you are in town and I'll buy you lunch if you let me pick your brains!
    954 five nine eight
    Oliver (Swamp)

13. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

No I have not received the correct props yet. He kept making up excuses over and over, why they werent' shipped yet. Now it seems I have given up the battle.

I have a set that will not work. He told me on more than one occasion that they would ship a new set in a week. This has been going on for nearly two years. I am a un happy camper.

Steve

14. Commuter Boats

Steve, I sent you a private message.

15. Commuter Boats

What is it that your propellers from Rose do or don't do?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.