Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

just posted this on boatdiesel to see what they think

My 42 foot sport cruiser is destined for a repower. I can't afford the new lightweight diesels such as Yanmars or smaller Cummins and would prefer to use the most reliable, cost effective, and parts available "old school" diesels I can find in the 400HP range. The engine room is under the cockpit and is 10x10 in size. I would also need gear recommendations for an environment that needs NO down angle (arneson drives) straight transmissions.

This model of boat has been sold (in the late 80's) with the following options:

CAT 3208s 425HP
    Big Block Gas engines 330HP or 400HP or 500HP
    GM 6V53 at 400HP
    DD671 485HP
    Volvo 71CD 450HP
    MTI and 400HP
    Volvo 71CDs at 500 or 550HP

Of the above - which ones would you experts consider the best value for what I am trying to accomplish?
    Which ones are most available as remanufactured or low hour take outs?
    Which ones are the simplest to work on?
    I boat in SE Florida and Bahamas mostly (parts?)

I'll post results when I get em.

2. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

re-man diesels

Hey Swamp, I know I sound like a broken record but I would invest my time in looking for a set of used/re-man caterpilllar in-line 6 cylinders. They have been using this block for the 300hp to 450hp since the early 90's. except for some minor turbo problems (that cat corrected early on) they have been very reliable. I see lots of them in my area, sport and commercial. As I mentioned before my first set of 350hp's were installed in 1994, ran 3500 hours in 9 years with very little repair costs (typical starters, etc) When I removed them I offered them for $15,000 (both). I had many lookers, one buyer insisted on oil analysis before buying. The results showed some chrome (supposedly from worn rings). The Cat dealer said he thought they were in good shape and the fact that I had not changed oil for 100+ hours was part of the problem. The buyer insisted that they be re-built, we agreed to share the cost. It was very low, they just did rings and main bearings (no head or turbo work). I think I paid about $1,500. Which means I got $13,500 for both and I only paid $30,000 9 years before. The buyer still uses them for offshore fishing today and they are almost 15 years old. My new ones are same block installed in 2003 (5 years this month) 420hp each. They now have about 750 hours and I have had no repairs.
    My dealer says he gets $13,500 each for re-man 350hp's and $15,500 for 420hp's. The ideal tranny for this application with arneson #8's is twin-disc 5061. I am sure used prices are much less than re-mans but the product is more risky as well. Just thought I would share again. Good luck in the search.
    I think you said you were in S Fla and I wanted to see your boat. Our 2nd home is in N Palm Bch but I am back north for the summer. If I get back down I will contact you to have a look-see. I had Susan attach some photos of the cat engines being installed. Also note the floor support that I had fabricated, a much needed item for the Harley floor system.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Swamplizard

Thanks PizzaCutter - I appreciate the time and effort you put inot your posts. I posted a similar question on a diesel boat site and got very odd mixture of answers.

4. pizzacutter

havn't seen many posts from you guys lately- like everybody, probably hate the fuel prices so it's hard to write about what you aint doing. I had been laying low most of the summer using the Mako and letting the Harley sit behind the house in the slip. I did venture out to the Chesapeake last week for a 6 day trip, probably 25 hours or so running time and a bunch of ports. Everything running great, especially bow-thruster, that thing is the real deal! I probably over use it like a new toy, but it is so effective that you can't help it. No more swinging the steering wheel full over as fast as possible to get in or out of a tight spot. It was a bummer to see so few power boats out and so many blow boats around. It used to be fun to zoom by them, but I know they're laughing thier *** off when they tell their crew how much I'm spending to do it. I left the Pizza Cutter @ the Cat dealer for new water pumps & heat exchanger cleaning. It's been 5 years since i installed and never serviced cooling system. I'll post service costs when I pick it up. Hey Martin I think that Susan sent photo & tech info to Harley site. Did you recieve? Good luck, hope you guys can keep the old Harley's going.

5. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

I have been doing a little boating here and there. Mostly hasslin with the Army Corp of Engineers over a permit to relocate my boathouse from Portland OR to Longview WA. You would think that I am building a nuclear powerplant by all of the red tape that I have to cut through. The part that really torqued me was being forced to hire a Marine Biologist to write a endangered species impact statement. All of this to move a boathouse from one place to another. Rediculous.
    Anyway enough of that. Boat has been running good. I just changed oil and filters on both engines and genset. Did it myself. It was fun, but my back just can't take that kind of stuff like it used too. Getting ready to head up stream to Kennewick, WA in the boat for the unlimited hydros. It's about a 700 mile round trip. Can't wait to see the gas bill for that. It's a great trip. It can be hard on the body though. The water gets huge in places where the river narrows up and the wind goes ballistic. One thing I'm never worried about though is the integrity of the Harley hull. This will be trip number five for this boat. I know my body always cries uncle long before the boat will.

I still have not recieved any props from John Rose at Ellis Propeller. He is dicking me around big time. The first set did not work because against my better judgment I let him make me a set of 17" props instead of 19's. They would not get me on plane. They just free wheeled. He told me he would make me another set. Hasn't happened! He has told me that the props have been cast, machined, and are ready for finishing. Then he has said I will ship them this week. Over and over. It is getting very frustrating. A local boat builder was getting the same song and dance from him. He finally got on a plane and personally pursuaded John to pony up. He got his props, brought them home as checked baggage and was able to deliver his 750,000 dollar boat. I am going to call him one more time and see what knid of bull story he has got this time. Then I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to start a smear campaign, but it's not off the table.

Anyway,

Good running boat= Happy Steve (Even if I'm a little cranky sometimes)

Hope you Harley owners are having a good time using your boats

Steve Hixson

6. Swamplizard

Mine is still busted - probably a good thing considerring the price of fuel these days. I did however find a counter-rotating power steering pump finally and ordered it. This way I can at least have a one-legged trawler to go camping on and it will allow me to take the boat areas that are more conducive to cleaning the bottom....canals a bit nasty in the summer down here in FL.

I also have a buddy with a 2 ton davit who suggested I pull the motor myself and see if I can figure out what locked it up. He is very mechanical and is 90% sure I dropped a valve. Only way to know is to pull the heads which I can't do in the boat since I can't get the manifolds off (broken bolts and rusted/rounded heads on a few - thanks to my previous mechanic.

So instead of boating, I have been working long hard hours and taking motorcycle rides on weekends with my spouse. We spent 5 days in the NC smoky mountains and it was fantastic riding the Tail of the Dragon - 318 tunrs in 11 miles and the 6,000 foot high skyways. Good stuff!

Steve post some pictures Bro. If the prop guy is local to me I can go visit and ask him nicely what is up for you.....I can let him know I will be in the market with my wanting some props made in a few months....might help.

Happy 4th to all!

7. pizzacutter

Cat Service Bill

Just got the bill from the dealer. My engines are just over 5 years old (750hrs) and this is my first service except for oil change once a year (about $200 each doing it myself) zincs once a year (about $125) and 3 or 4 alternator belts. The cats have big alternators to power intake air heaters that draw alot of juice (the alternators wail when they kick on & off), they are not glow plugs but rather something that heats the air. This trip was for new water pumps, remove heat exchangers, power steering coolers, tranny coolers, and acid wash them. replace all zincs, fresh coolant, few misc. items like hoses clamps, etc. Cost- parts $640, Labor 14 hours @ $65 hour= $910, Total bill $1550. Not too bad considering it is the first big bill I have had and it was for routine service and not a breakdown. Also about the same cost as a fill up of diesel fuel.

8. Swamplizard

Hello Gents & Ladies,

Does anyone know if the Gas version of the Harley 42 can be lifted by a 16,000 lb hydrohoist lift? Time sensitive - might have an inexpensive and healthy one avaialable but it wont last and since I only have one motor and no power steering, I can't really "try" it first.

Thanks!

9. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

My 12,000lb unit would not lift mine. But it was close. I think a 16,000 would do it as long as you were not heavy on fuel.

Steve

10. Swamplizard

Steve H Thanks Man!

I needed a quick answer - this sounds promissing.

Keep you posted - cheers!

11. Swamplizard

Does anyone have one Arneson Prop Adapter which mates 19-spline ASD8 shafts to Mercury #6 Speedmaster Propeller and the Mercury #3 and #4 drives also?

I would like to borrow or "rent it" for a week so I can have a bunch of them made here locally by a freind of mine. $250 a pop is rediculous. Lender will get a discount on a set....;-)

12. Swamplizard

Hello,

I may be purchasing a 16.000 lb hydrohoist for next to nothing and it would need new "bunks" installed to support my Harley correctly. I checked it out today and everything works but it will need some cosmetics and I would like to replace the fugly rusted galvanized steel parts with aluminum.

Ideally I would have three cross beams (instead of the existing 2) to support the vessel's length and long continous bunks to support it from stem to stern instead of the way they are now - two separate V-shaped bunk sections.

Does anyone have their Harley on a lift and can send me pictures and possibly measurments of how their bunks are built so I can duplicate?

Thanks!

13. Ron Alexander

Ron Alexander Seattle Vice

I have several photos of my 42" Harley in slings and on blocks from last years hauling if this is any help

Ron Alexander

Attached Files:

14. Swamplizard

thanks - she looks great!

Any shots of how your lift bunks are setup?

thanks!

15. Ron Alexander

Ron Alexander Seattle Vice

Sorry. I don't have a lift or a trailer. We keep her in a Marina year round. If you're asking about the bottom of the boat this is the best shot I have that shows the set up

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.