Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

What's new boys and girls? Any Harley-related updates for the group?

2. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Not much going on here in Jamaica! I won't be home for a week or so. I sold my boathouse. Still waiting on the permit for the new one. So the boat is moored outside for the first time since I have owned. I'm not too happy about it. But the buyer of my house had cash, so it was a no brainer. Boat is running good. I have a boat trip planed out to the coast in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. I hope the weather is good.

Steve

3. Swamplizard

post some pictures of your trip Steve! I just survived my child's wedding and my youngest finishes college soon so perhaps some cash will be made available to fix the motors up and maybe even look into adding teak like you did to the interior floor (nice!).

Have a red stripe on me!

4. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

bowthruster, etc., etc.

I havn't had anytime to log on as the bowthruster project turned into another long one. once the cabin and v-berth areas were stripped including the floors, upholstry, etc. I begain to find items that needed upgrades-replacements. Some due to poor construction but many just normal re-furb due to wear/tear or just becasue better products were availbale and it seemed like a good time to do it. although the extras went on and on (new upholstry, stereo upgrades, new lighting cabin & head& engine room, forward bildge pumps-floats-switches, lots of wiring, LOTS of f'glass work, some guages, freshen engines for season, belts-zincs-filters, etc., fuels line upgrades, etc.) the real beast of a job was the bow-thruster. It took an insane amount of time for the f'glass work. Some I did myself but I had a really good helper to finish it off. It is all done now and i got my girlfriend cleaning the cabin plus doing all the linen stuff, galley, etc. Ready for a test drive any time. I'll post the results. They better be good! I got lots of pictures of the project but I have to wait for susan to return to work to post them. I'm no good with that stuff and don't have time to learn. maybe next week she can do it.

5. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Swamp,

I starting to feel your pain as far as the college thing goes. I have my oldest daughter at WWSU this year. Next year it looks like my boy will be at WSU. So cash flow will be a little on the low side. Hopefully no big projects this year and all I have to worry about is fuel.

Steve

6. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Looking forward to the pics and the report after it has been tested.

7. pizzacutter

Pizza Cutter bow thruster, etc.

I got susan to attach 5 pics re: bowtruster install. As you can see it was no small task. I could only attach 5 photos, I have lots more. If anybody wants them let me know and I could mail them out (I'm better @ us mail than e-mail anyway). You will note on #1944 a 2" riser in the forward 1/2 of the front cabin floor. This was not necessary as I could have laid the motor perfectly horizontal and kept the floor flat. I raised the motor slightly because I wanted the floor elevated. it allows for ventilation to the thruster motor compartment. I was going to test this past weekend but weather was bad and I was busy. Maybe this weekend. I'll post results asap. Susan is also going to try to post a few photos on the harleypowerboat site. Take a look and see if she is successful.

Attached Files:

8. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Stringers and frames

Guys,
    Anyway, anywhere I could get a "look' or "pic", or blue prints of the
    stringer/frames job, and ring frame layout for the Harley 42'. I would really like to study the design and the way the whole thing goes together..

9. pizzacutter

bowthruster

bowthruster lift off a few hours ago. so far so good. see no problems and no leaks! performance is awesome, it spins the bow over very quickly. only down side is noise and water turbulance (however you do not notice it from the helm with engines running) but when using the remote control (which is a real cool feature) the water stream is like a jet drive, lots of flow. Keep in mind that this is the all new 6 blade prop that was supposed to be quieter than the old 5 blades. I am very impressed and feel like I got my money's worth and have only used it less than 1 hour. Should make using the boat more fun. maybe will make me forget about fuel costs, if even for a few moments.

10. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Awsome, Awsome, !!

You are definitely a man of action. I have been wanting to do this project for years, now you have it in the water and running. Beautiful cabin by the way. It looks very well done.

What model of thruster did you use? What was the rated thrust? What diameter of tube? How much water over the top of the tube do you have?

Thanks,

Steve

11. Swamplizard

Wow - nice thruster! I know Steve is going to be up nights trying to plan one for his boat .... sweet toy!

12. pizzacutter

bowthruster 42 Harley

hey steve and swamp- thanks for compliments on thruster job (and cabin steve) the cabin is real simple not many gadgets- note that the cabinet doors are just white starboard secured with lock/lever mechanisms, no hinges. fancy teak doors are in my attic, I just coudn't keep hinges from breaking. I get more usable storage this way too. The thruster is vetus 6 blade #75. The tube is just over 7" (some kind of metric measurment). I have 3"-4" of water coverage over it sitting still. All figures are metric but I think these are close to our units, thrust 187lb, hp 6, weight 57lb. I used it again yesterday to return the boat to trailer, it really made that job easier. my girl friend can use the remote as I approach the trlr to line it up. that was optional by the way, about $500. Whole package including tax was under $4,000 (installation, batteries, cables, etc. is a whole other story) but I still think it was a bargain. Go ahead and have at it. I can send you exact dimentions where I cut the hole and how the mount was fabricated. you'll be done in no time.

13. Swamplizard

14. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

15. Swamplizard

4 MPG and toyota based diesel with Harley surface drives??? Howard has been busy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.