Grand Banks 32

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Josh, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Josh

Josh Junior Member

I'm currently in the market for a somewhat inexpensve and yet classic cruiser. I ran across a 1968 GB 32 for around 37grand. I looked further on boats.com and found these to be quiet reasonable.(between 30-50) What i found most compeling was the classic design. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this model and weather i should continue suit. thanks

2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Junior Member

Well, itz wood - so be prepared for 2 hrs work for 1 hr boating.
    What - the salesman didnt tell you this?
    I'm shocked!
    Great design however: if you like cruising at 8 knots.
    Indeed, why speed - the idea is to relax.
    Cheers!

3. Josh

Josh Junior Member

Thanks, thats very helpful. i think i might look into the fiberglass version. it might be a little higher on the price side, however i think it will pay off in the long run

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hi Josh,
    And the formula for fiberglass boats is one hour and fifty five minutes work for one hour of boating.
    So enjoy.
    Gilbert

5. Josh

Josh Junior Member

GREAT! So there's a margin of 5 minutes for 30 grand. For some reason i dont think that equates, thanks Gilbert i think i will reconsidedr : ). By the way, where in WA is Cathlamet? My new location is Bainbridge Island, WA. just across from seattle. I now no longer live in Holland, so maybe you might have some suggestions on better vessels for this area. that reminds me Does anyone know how to change the location of the thread title? cheers, josh

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hi Josh,
    As you may have suspected there is no hard and fast rule or formula for predicting how many hours of maintainence will be required per hour of boat use by construction method or material. To prove it, let's assume someone is using their boat everyday year around. Surely they will not have to work on maintainence for longer than a year to use it for one. It's just not possible.
    Cathlamet is in southwest Washington on the Columbia River about 30 miles from the ocean.
    I think the Grand Banks cruisers will suit you just fine. There are a lot of them around and there is lots of published information about them and owners to track down for opinions and information on them. So do your research and don't pay more than the particular boat is worth and you should be in fine shape.

7. Josh

Josh Junior Member

I am a boater who who pretty much goes year around. rain or shine, I suppose in this state you pretty much have to if you ever want to use your boat at all. You see many owners that are seasonal cruisers which leaves a lot of repair and money to spend after a long winter. But thats great advice. I also have heard that the GB handles well in weather. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for you assistance, Josh