framing and stringers

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mach7, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mach7

mach7 New Member

Hi Guys

New to the forum and having trouble finding any info on framing up an aluminium single chine power yacht. Really just wondering how the stringers should be spaced for aluminium plating and whether 6 or 8mm is the go. Any help would be great.

Cheers

Matt

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

the way is this
    4 deep girders, with floors at 600 centres for the bottom, with no stringers esp for fast boats, the two inboard girders are also engine brrs, leave you email address I will assist
    forewards weld continually each side of each floor
    , before i can say pl thickness, need weight length , but up to 30 feet 6 is ok bottom,

3. mach7

mach7 New Member

quick response

Thanks for the quick response mate. 6mm sounds like the best idea. My mate says go MiG I will save money on rods.

The idea is 24 feet with a pair of 1uz-fe's (toyota motor 300hp each). I had them lying round and i have recently been convinced to put them in 1 boat rather than 2 cars.

4. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

oh, I see, you dont use (rods) al al welding, and stay away from TIG, welding is not cheap to set up, gun(pulling or assist) and feeder and power pac are not cheap, see a thread on welding a steel boat, a guy called lazeyjack has posted a lot abt welding al al
    cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.