Frame

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bachainsaw32, Jul 20, 2007.

1. bachainsaw32

bachainsaw32 New Member

This is a stupid question i know but.... Do powerboats have frames under the fiberglass and if so what are they made from? I think there has to be but i was helping my cousin work on his boat and i didnt see any framing.

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Not really a stupid question.

Timber is sometimes used as strengthening and is encapsulated by the fibreglass. Not a good idea because the wood will eventually rot and there goes the strength.

I don't think modern fibreglass boats do tho' as they rely on the ribbing of the plastic and/or internal mouldings such as seats etc.

I'm sure somebody more qualified can answer you query in more detail.

Incidently, I am the only person on this forum that is most qualified in asking stupid questions as I have a Diploma in Stupidity.

Poida

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Er hem... I have a Phd in stupidity, Poida, so dream on.

Whether powerboats or sailboats, seems structural grids and coring are taking over with production boats. Early boats had a lot of problems with wood rot. At one time, polyester resin was considered a bit like epoxy is today. We know better now. It isn't waterproof forever.
    I think another reason is that people commonly set up fifteen year loans on their boat purchase (because they can) and as a result, builders are a lot more responsible and are offering longer term hull warranties.
    Unfortunately, a lot of older boats that look perfectly fine are structurally in very poor condition. Some to the point that they would cost more to repair than the value of the boat on the market.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.