Four Winns Horizon 180 vs. Crownline 180 BR

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, May 22, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind me asking a question while not being a member.

As a first time buyer, I could use some advice.

I've narrowed down my choice between the Four Winns 180 Horizon and the Crownline 180 BR. Both boats have been priced in the same league. 22,400 (CL) vs 22,900 (FW) out the door (bimini, trailor, registration, taxes) Both dealers are saying its a great deal. Boats are coming with 6 cyl engines, merc on the crownline and volvo on the Four winns.

I personally like the looks of the crownline, but the four winns has snap in carpets and a larger swim platform (?).

Are both boats really compatible??
    Is there another boat I should consider?
    Any preferance by the experienced and more knowledgable folks out there??

thank you!
    Tom

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Tom~ We find ourselves in pretty much the same situation. Crownline or Horizon?? Have you made a decision? If so how did you come to your final conclusion? Thanks!
    Chris and Kelly
    kellyw119@chartermi.net

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Done deal.....we bought the crownline.

Our biggest reason was price. The four winns horizon was 4 thousand dollars more.

The dealer tried to play a fast one on me. They first gave me a price that was equal to the crownline, but when it came tim to purchase it was the freedom that they were selling for that price. Instead they wanted 4K more for the horizon.

Shame on them....for 20K I got the 180br with trailer 190hp merc 4.3, sport interior, upgraded graphics, depth finder, stereo, bimini, cooler, coast guard pack, boat cover, anchor and rope, fenders, extra ropes.

Plus 20%off on anything else we wanted to buy. Screw ultimate watersports and their underhanded tactics.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, I have had 2 Four WInns Horizon 180's to date and I loved both of them. I would take a Volvo Penta over a Mercruiser any day for one simple reason. The Volvo has a CONE clutch while the Mercruiser has a simple dog clutch. As a consequence the shift into gear is far smoother on the Volvo.

The Mercruiser has a system of killing the engine for a split second to release the pressure on the clutch which can give a little trouble if it is not adjusted correctly.

The 4.3 L V6 engine is exactly the same in both (A common GM unit) but it is the outdrive that scores way above for the Volvo.

Build quality on Four Winns is very good, and the Stable Vee 3 hull is excellent.

5. PMR

PMR New Member

Crownline 180 BR vs Monterey 180 Edge

Tom,
    How do you like the Crownline? I'm on the fence between Crownline 180 BR and Monterey 180 Edge. Strengths/Weaknesses of the Crownline?

Paul

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.